[News] A Look at Garmin's Linux-powered Navigation Devices

The newly-formed phone maker finally let us get our hands on the Garmin-Asus
Nuvifone G60 and the new, Windows Mobile, Nuvifone M20. Was it worth the wait?

,----[ Quote ]
| Though it's not technically a smartphone, the Nuvifone G60 is still based on
| Garmin's own Linux-based platform, and the company bragged quite a bit about
| the length their own software developers went in order to make this an
| original device.
`----

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10210.html

Recent:

Garmin, Asus Team to Bring Smartphones to U.S.

,----[ Quote ]
| Garmin and Asus, best-known for GPS devices and PC components respectively,
| announced an alliance on Wednesday to produce co-branded smart phones. In a
| conference call, Garmin execs hinted strongly that they wanted to bring the
| devices to the U.S. for an "attractive" price.
|
| [...]
|
| The line will begin with Garmin-Asus's Nuvifone G60, a Linux-based GPS
| smartphone that the company announced in January 2008, but that they never
| brought to market. The Nuvifone G60 will come to shelves in the first half of
| 2009, Pemble said. Another model will be announced at the upcoming Mobile
| World Congress in Barcelona on Feb. 15 or 16, and "we look forward to
| introducing additional Nuvifone models during the course of 2009 and beyond,"
| Pemble said.

New Garmin-Asus Smartphones to Take Many OSs

,----[ Quote ]
| Asustek has been making mobile phones since 2001 and has launched several
| smartphones, mainly with Linux or Microsoft Windows OSs.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/158900/new_garminasus_smartphones_to_take_many_oss.html

Garmin Nuvifone Clarification: Linux-based but not Android

,----[ Quote ]
| The Android Guys apparently snagged a quote. According to their site, Garmin
| states that "We do have an Android-based phone under development; however, we
| are not releasing any additional information about that product at this
| time." Garmin is a newly minted member of the Open Handset Alliance so the
| expectation that it would soon release an Android platform seemed reasonable.
| However, the Nuvi handset remains (as planned) based on a proprietary Linux
| build rather than Android, according to Engadget
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/12/23/garmin-nuvifone-clarification-linux-based-but-not-android
http://tinyurl.com/8llmxo

Garmin Nav devices run Gnome Linux