Re: [News] Sun Sheds Truth on OpenOffice.org Performance, Startup Time

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Wednesday 01 April 2009 12:12 : \____

  this bit o' wisdom:

Multiplatform OpenOffice.org 3.0 Benchmark

,----[ Quote ]
| Which OpenOffice.org edition is fastest? All OpenOffice.org editions and
| both operating systems performed well, and it's not possible to identify a
| single champion. Go-oo's tweaks often (but not always) gave it an advantage
| over Sun Microsystem's Vanilla edition, but OpenOffice.org PPA's system
| libraries gained the most substantial advantage.
| | OpenOffice.org 3.1 is just around the corner, and the rumor is the new
| performance improvements make is fast. I hope to see Go-oo and OxygenOffice
| fix the automation bugs, so they can be better represented in the next
| showdown. (I'd even more hope they would upstream all their patches despite
| the political drama, but that's another story.)
`----

http://www.oooninja.com/2009/03/multiplatform-benchmark-30.html

The Munchkins won't like this.
Why not?  It shows Windows beating Ubuntu on a warm start of OpenOffice?

See the error bars and the absolute value. The trolls say it should take 20
seconds, no?

I have to say that there seems to be something in Vista which slows down the fast start-up of OO. If you set the same values in the Open Office Memory setting in XP and Vista, using the same version of OO, the startup time from cold is noticeably longer in Vista compared to XP. Interestingly, on XP OO starts up noticeably faster than Office 2007. On Vista they are about the same. Deliberate programming on MS's part? Who knows....

On my Linux netbook, the startup of OO is almost instantaneous....

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk