[News] Microsoft is Scared of GNU/Linux and IBM

Why is Microsoft afraid to use the 'L' word?

,----[ Quote ]
| The sales “cheat sheet” does acknowledge,  via a single-line mention, that ”
| Windows Server Foundation is an alternative to running open source (Linux)
| software.”  But the primary marketing messages that Microsoft is emphasizing
| with its new Server product aren’t Linux-focused at all, if the Battlecard is
| any kind of guide. Instead, Microsoft is suggesting partners emphasize that
| Foundation Server will be easy on IT budgets; help optimize the Web for your
| business; and provide “peace of mind” for those concerned about the
| ramifications of running pirated Windows.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2421

Who is going to run IBM?

,----[ Quote ]
| In 1999, when Palmisano was 48, was tapped to run IBM's Server Group, and
| spearheaded the company's move into Linux and open source. Soon after that,
| he was tapped to be president and chief operating officer at IBM, and
| everyone knew Sam was The Man. In March 2002, Palmisano was named CEO, and
| Gerstner, who was 60, stayed on as chairman until the following December to
| let Wall Street got used to the idea that the man who saved IBM from itself
| might retire. (He didn't stay retired for long. In January 2003, Gerstner
| took the position of chairman at private equity giant The Carlyle Group.)
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/01/who_will_run_ibm/

Recent:

Microsoft’s Mainframe Obsession

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s name popped up on a few occasions in my article published Monday
| about I.B.M.’s moves over the last couple of years to keep tight control over
| the mainframe computer market. As it turns out, Microsoft paid for a study
| about servers that can emulate mainframes, financed two mainframe emulation
| companies suing I.B.M on antitrust grounds and sponsored a trade group
| critical of I.B.M.’s decision to buy its most significant competitor in the
| mainframe market.
|
| In the past, Microsoft has also enjoyed a cozy relationship with the SCO
| Group, which has sued I.B.M.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/microsofts-odd-mainframe-obsession/

Rivals Say I.B.M. Stifles Competition to Mainframes

,----[ Quote ]
| In a paper commissioned by Microsoft examining the alternative mainframe
| technologies, Walter F. Tichy, a professor of computer science at the
| University of Karlsruhe in Germany, concluded that, as a result of I.B.M.’s
| actions, “customers have been denied the benefits of technological innovation
| and must instead pay above-market prices for I.B.M. mainframe solutions and
| premium wages for a dwindling mainframe workforce.”
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/technology/companies/23mainframe.html?_r=1&ref=business

Related:

IBM mainframe acquisition raises antitrust concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has acquired Platform Solutions Inc., a vendor of mainframes and other
| computer hardware, in a move that raised antitrust concerns among members of
| one IT trade group....
|
| An IBM spokesman downplayed the CCIA's concerns. IBM has focused on making
| its mainframes open servers that run open technologies such as Linux and
| Java, said spokesman Tim Breuer. Applications that run on IBM's mainframes
| run on other major servers, he said.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9106358&intsrc=news_ts_head
http://tinyurl.com/6hu6ng

Microsoft to IBM: Tolerate PSI Mainframes or Quit Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| If you think Microsoft has an aversion to Article 82 of the European Treaty,
| the anti-monopoly law that forced it to open some Windows server APIs and
| also to live with others' media players on desktops, think again. Microsoft
| is backing Platform Solutions (PSI) in an Article 82 action that could loosen
| IBM's grip on the mainframe. If PSI is given the keys to every glass house in
| Europe, Microsoft will be one of its principal guests. In fact, PSI could get
| more from IBM than it wanted when it first announced mainframe-compatible
| systems.Last November 27, PSI announced that it had raised more than $37
| million in additional capital, and that one of the companies in the deal was
| Microsoft. Other investors in PSI include Intel, Blueprint Ventures, Goldman
| Sachs, InterWest Partners, and InvestCorp.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/big/big011508-story01.html

Enterprise Unix Roundup: EU vs. Microsoft vs. IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| Over on IT Jungle, I just read an interesting story about how Microsoft is
| (by proxy) cleverly using the same law that was just smacked over its head
| for Windows market dominance against IBM's mainframe base in Europe.
|
| The story, by Hesh Wiener, is a fascinating look into the world of
| litigation-as-business-strategy, and details the complaint filed by Platform
| Solutions (PSI) against IBM for violating Article 82 of the European
| Commission (EC) Treaty. The complaint was filed, according to a Dec. 18
| Reuters story, way back on Oct. 19.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3722066

Did Microsoft ruin SCO?