Re: [News] Debian Lenny Derivative Mepis 8.0 Works Great

> Mepis 8.0 is an excellent distribution of Linux. I agree with what the
> reviewers said about Mepis being very fast because it is.
> I've just installed this after replacing my Suse system after several
> years of being a loyal Suse user and my PC feels like it's been over
> clocked 30 percent.
> Everything worked except one of my printers which always requires some
> extra work to get running.
> My only criticism is that there are too many places to configure options
> and the Nvidia setup for dual displays was confusing. For some reason it
> set the absolute option which made the twinview desktop much too wide
> causing windows to overlap desktops.Other than that I highly recommend
> Mepis. I'm in the process of replacing my Pentium 4 with an Intel Quad
> and I can't wait to see how Mepis screams on that system.

Which front end do you use for twinview? it's very simple in Mandriva (out of
the box even).

As for the printer, Windows users typically (almost always unless it has
changed) require download or just installation of drivers, which can be
complicated at times. Many printers and scanners work out of the box in Linux
(all those that I've ever used anyway).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
 05:00:01 up 21 days, 18 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.52, 1.78, 1.72