[News] QuickOS Based on Linux and Boosts Fast

Linpus Linux To Launch QuickOS Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| During the CeBit conference in Germany, Linpus Technologies is set to
| introduce Linpus QuickOS, which is their new quick booting Linux
| distribution. According to the information we have received, QuickOS boots in
| a speedy manner due to "fine-tuning and maximizing software performance for
| less powerful hardware platforms" and removing unneeded Linux libraries.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzA5OA

Recent:

HyperSpace available for ARM processors

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoenix Technologies anounced their HyperSpace software now works with ARM
| processors, so it will be available for very cheap netbooks. HyperSpace is a
| Linux-based OS which boots very fast, so you it's an almost "instant-on"
| Operating System.
`----

http://eeepc.itrunsonlinux.com/the-news/1-latest-news/269-hyperspace-available-for-arm-processors

ARM gets a fast boot Linux stack

,----[ Quote ]
| PC BIOS giant Phoenix Technologies announced a new ARM version of its new
| previously x86-only Linux fast-boot add-on. HyperSpace has now been optimized
| for the ARM Cortex-A8 architecture running on netbooks, and is initially
| targeted at Freescale Semiconductor's new i.MX515 system-on-chip (SoC), says
| Phoenix.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5805419360.html?kc=rss

Instant-on PCs Could Take off With Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Freescale is also looking to add fast-boot capabilities to future Linux-based
| netbooks with its Arm-based i.MX515 processors, which the company introduced
| at CES. The company demonstrated an i.MX515-powered netbook made by Pegatron,
| an Asus spin-off, at the show.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/156879/instanton_pcs_could_take_off_with_netbooks.html?tk=rss_news

Related:

A hands-on look at the Splashtop instant-on Linux environment

http://www.linux.com/feature/128004

Splashtop: boot into Linux in just five seconds

,----[ Quote ]
| I have a quad-core CPU, super-fast hard disks and heaps of RAM
| – Linux is already pretty darn nippy if you ask me!
|
| Perhaps. But, let's face it: if it takes more than 30
| seconds to get from pressing the power button to you
| reading your email, that's 30 seconds you could have
| spent chatting to the pretty lady in the cubicle next
| to you, reading the latest XKCD comic or – most
| importantly of all – basking in the glow of the
| most recent issue of Linux Format magazine.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/splashtop-boot-into-linux-in-just-five-seconds-486831

Splashtop moves into netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| The Splashtop instant-on Linux environment is included in the new Lenovo
| IdeaPad S10e netbook, marking the product's first appearance in that form
| factor. That news should come as no surprise, since netbooks'
| ultra-portability is a natural match for Splashtop's instant-on.
|
| [...]
|
| Splashtop is not the only possibility for achieving a fast-booting Linux
| environment. At the Linux Plumbers' Conference in October, Arjan van de Ven
| and Auke Kok demonstrated booting two heavily modified Linux systems in less
| than five seconds -- including a Moblin system image on an Asus Eee PC
| netbook.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/153130

Linux boots in 2.97 seconds

,----[ Quote ]
| Japanese embedded Linux house Lineo has announced a quick-start technology
| that it claims can boot Linux in 2.97 seconds on a low-powered system. The
| technology appears similar to but much faster than Linux's
| existing "suspend-to-disk" capability.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5185504436.html?kc=rss

Booting Debian in 14 seconds