[News] GNU/Linux Very Affordable Because of Applications

It's Not the Cost of the OS - It's the Cost of Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Software costs now dwarf hardware costs
|
| Times have changed though, pretty thoroughly: at this point you can get a
| pretty rocking computer loaded with RAM, a quad core processor, a great
| graphics card, and a gi-normous fast hard drive for about $700. And have room
| in the budget for a great big gorgeous color LCD to see it all on and maybe
| even a nice big graphics pen-tablet. Meanwhile, the cost of Photoshop and all
| the other creative software has not come down one iota. Something's gotta
| give.
|
| So it was the lure of free-libre programs like the Gimp, Blender, Audacity,
| Inkscape, and Rawstudio that first drew me in. Actually, I think it was
| probably OpenOffice that was the first FOSS program I downloaded and
| installed onto Windows 2000. You see, with the relatively small amount of
| word processing and office type stuff I do, it seemed crazy to keep buying
| office software. (I used WordPerfect ages ago, and I've never used MS Office
| at all.) So I tried OOo and guess what? It was just brilliant, exactly what I
| needed and more. Wow, I thought, how can a program this good be completely
| free?
`----

http://ubuntulinuxologisms.blogspot.com/2009/02/its-not-cost-of-os-its-cost-of-apps.html

Celtx jumps a version, releases 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of perpetual beta (it’s vogue these days), Celtx, the open source
| media pre-production and screenwriting application, finally earned its 1.0
| status this past June. So it might seem a little odd that only eight months
| later, Celtx is making the jump to 2.0 (and it does seem a little sudden) so
| let’s take a look and see if this new version worth its version number.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2009/02/27/celtx-2/

Recent:

Best Affordable Computer Options

,----[ Quote ]
| Below are the cheapest pre-fabricated computers that I could find. They all
| run on Linux based operating systems.
`----

http://sivartravis.com/2008/volunteering/best-affordable-computer-options/

Related:

Linux will dominate UK schools within 5 years

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, it does seem unlikely doesn't it? Windows has been the only reality for
| several generations of computer users. But is the tide finally beginning to
| turn?
|
| At the Education Show held in February 2007, the talk was of 'sustainable'
| computing and how schools could use technology to reduce their 'carbon
| footprint'. Nobody had any idea of what was to come – a host of Linux-based,
| ultra-portable, incredibly cheap and very green personal laptops.
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/linux-will-dominate-uk-schools-within-5-years.html

Linux Laptops Reach Critical Mass

,----[ Quote ]