[News] Microsoft Loses on Sub-notebooks Either Way... to GNU/Linux

Dell admits to small Ubuntu success

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have done a very good job explaining to folks what Linux is" a Dell
| spokesperson told Laptop Magazine. Which makes a change from 18 months back
| when we were reporting that Dell staff didn't seem to know that Ubuntu was
| even an option.

I hear about people who have never used Linux and really love Ubuntu on these
computers.

Why Windows 7 on Netbooks Won’t Save Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Even worse, about a third of netbooks ship with Linux. Microsoft makes
| nothing from those machines. Microsoft also recognizes that while Linux has
| offered desktop PC users a less attractive product compared to Windows on the
| PC (largely due to Linux’ lack of support for Windows games, commercial
| desktop apps, and some specialized drivers), the barriers holding back Linux
| on the PC aren’t nearly as significant on netbooks, which don’t play games,
| aren’t expected to run apps outside of basic things like web browsing and
| word processing, and have a smaller subset of hardware needs to support.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/02/26/why-windows-7-on-netbooks-wont-save-microsoft/

Microsoft makes almost no money from sub-notebooks in general, no matter what
O/S they run.

Recent:

Microsoft Loses $435 Million in Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| According to current figures from Netbookdigest.com, Microsoft has lost
| $435,000,000 over the last year in netbook sales.
|
| While Microsoft has maintained about 90% of the desktop and notebook market,
| netbooks come in at only 70%. Part of the reason is Linux, but part is
| Microsoft itself.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/microsoft_loses_435_million_in_netbooks

Ballmer keeps close watch on Apple and Android

,----[ Quote ]
| And concerns regarding Google's open-source mobile operating system Android
| are not far behind.
|
| "I think the dynamics with Linux is changing somewhat," Ballmer said. "I
| assume we'll see Android-based, Linux-based laptops, in addition to phones,
| and we'll see Google more and more as a competitor in the desktop operating
| system business than we ever have before."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10170883-94.html

Ballmer: Android makes Google a bigger rival to Windows on PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft shares are down slightly, trading just over $17, following
| Ballmer's remarks.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/Ballmer_Android_makes_Google_a_bigger_rival_to_Windows_on_PCs_40218292.html
http://tinyurl.com/ba9tbm

Microsoft Sees Threat From Android Notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3806326