[News] Censorship Puts Aussie/New Zealand's Internet at Risk

Aussie internet-net will be drawn wider

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian government is already planning to block legal internet content
| when its "great firewall" eventually goes live. That is the fear expressed by
| some of the most trenchant critics of this scheme, including Senators Simon
| Birmingham (for the Liberal Party) and Scott Ludlam (for the Greens)
| following another shift in emphasis by Communications Minister Stephen Conroy
| in evidence to the Environment, Communications and the Arts committee on
| Monday.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/25/oz_internet_net/

Recording Industry, Politicians Continue To Give Bogus Reasons To Support 3
Strikes In New Zealand

,----[ Quote ]
| Lawrence D'Oliveiro continues to keep us informed on the more ridiculous
| aspects of the push by both the recording industry and certain politicians in
| New Zealand to push through that country's highly controversial policy to cut
| off file sharers based on accusations rather than actual convictions for file
| sharing. First up is that the country's Prime Minister appears to be flat-out
| lying when he claims that New Zealand has to implement such a plan to remain
| in compliance with international obligations. That's simply not true. He
| claims that other countries, like Australia and the UK have already
| implemented similar plans, but that's also not true. Both countries have
| considered such a plan, but the UK, for instance, has already said that it
| will not require ISPs to cut anyone off the internet. To claim that New
| Zealand has to do so or that other countries have already agreed to the same
| thing is simply untrue.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090224/0212283883.shtml

Lie for law.

Recent:

Obama names Doerr, Phillips to economic board

,----[ Quote ]
| Two Silicon Valley leaders have been appointed by President Obama to a
| 16-person committee that's charged with offering economic advice during what
| has become an unusually sharp and deep recession.
|
| John Doerr, the billionaire venture capitalist at Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield
| & Byers, is one. Doerr was involved in funding companies including Google,
| Amazon.com, Sun Microsystems, and Cypress Semiconductor; he currently serves
| on the board of companies including Amazon and Google and has recently turned
| his attention to green tech.
|
| Charles Phillips, the president of Oracle, is another. Phillips became
| president in May 2003 and previously was with Morgan Stanley's Institutional
| Securities Division. He's a Linux aficionado and said in 2005: "On demand is
| the future of software for many years to come and we are building it on
| Linux."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10158505-38.html

Why Obama Should Change US Trade Policy On Intellectual Property

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081212/0143153102.shtml