[News] British Government Finally Embraces Free Software and ODF

Open Source, Open Standards and Re–Use: Government Action Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source has been one of the most significant cultural developments in IT
| and beyond over the last two decades: it has shown that individuals, working
| together over the Internet, can create products that rival and sometimes beat
| those of giant corporations; it has shown how giant corporations themselves,
| and Governments, can become more innovative, more agile and more
| cost-effective by building on the fruits of community work; and from its IT
| base the Open Source movement has given leadership to new thinking about
| intellectual property rights and the availability of information for re–use
| by others.
`----

http://www.cio.gov.uk/transformational_government/open_source/index.asp

UK Government: Starts The Push For FOSS?

,----[ Quote ]
| Whoa! This comes from the Chief Information Office Council. Yes, the
| Government is so big they can’t have just one CIO like even the biggest
| Enterprise, they have to have a whole council of them ;-)
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/02/24/uk-government-starts-the-push-for-foss/

UK Government Getting Real About Open Source

,----[ Quote ]

| As billions of bail-out dollars become trillions, it is clear that we need to
| be realistic about the nature and the solutions to our world-wide software
| crisis. Today the world spends more than $3T USD per year on systems that are
| largely based on vendor lock-in, not value and not free and fair competition.
| What is most shocking about the $3T USD number is not its sheer size alone,
| but the fact that fully $1T USD of that number is written off ever year when
| people are forced to abandon their projects before putting them into
| production. The place to fix that problem is not in any specific piece of
| software (most of which has 20-30 defects per 1000 source lines of code), but
| in the fundamental system of competition that is responsible for ensuring
| that malignant software can be successfully removed in the first place. The
| UK Government's decision is a strong step in the direction of properly
| restoring the right kind of competition in the marketplace. The days of
| rewarding past performance, especially the performance of amassing billions
| of dollars based on strategic lock-in, must be put behind us. And we should
| treat any use of such funds for furthering vendor lock-in as extremely
| suspect and worthy of an immediate and full investigation.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/396

Government pushes open source with 10-point plan

,----[ Quote ]
| The government is getting serious about using open source as a building block
| in systems development.
|
| Yesterday its top IT policy-making body, the CIO Council, published a10
|
| point action plan that frees central and local government departments to use
| open source systems where possible.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2009/02/25/235006/government-pushes-open-source-with-10-point-plan.htm

UK Government policy update supports open source

http://www.h-online.com/open/UK-Government-policy-update-supports-open-source--/news/112714

Open Source? Labour's Working on It

,----[ Quote ]
| There's no doubt that in the UK the winners so far have been the
| Conservatives, who have seized on open source as a stick with which to beat
| the current government's miserable record on large-scale IT projects, most of
| which have been way over budget at best, and utter failures at worst (with
| some managing both).
|
| This has understandably put pressure on Labour to come up with a riposte, and
| yesterday it was unveiled in the form of something called “Open Source, Open
| Standards and Re–Use: Government Action Plan” (there's a handy version from
| WriteToReply here, where you can add your comments.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1918&blogid=14

Labour disingenously adopts Tory position on open source software

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/alex_singleton/blog/2009/02/24/labour_disingenously_adopts_tory_position_on_open_source_software

UK government backs open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK government has said it will accelerate the use of open source software
| in public services.
|
| Tom Watson MP, minister for digital engagement, said open source software
| would be on a level playing field with proprietary software such as Windows.

Open Source, Open Standards and Re-Use: UK Government Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK Government has made it clear that Open Source and Open Standards, with
| a focus on re-use of software development and deployment, is to clearly and
| unequivocably be part of the decision-making for UK Government I.T.
| procurement and contracting. Also part of the policy is a clear committment
| to engage with the Free Software community and to actively encourage the
| development of "Government-Class" Free Software products.
`----

http://www.advogato.org/article/1002.html

Is the UK going open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| The new UK initiative however is not a wholesale rip and replace of the
| proprietary tools it already uses. It does not restrict the use of
| proprietary software either, but rather 'supports' open standards over closed
| proprietary lock-in.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/02/is-the-uk-going-open-source.html

UK Government Endorses Open Source and ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Late today (UK time), the British Government issued a bold new strategy for
| use of open source software - and open standards - in Great Britain. In Open
| Source, Open Standards and Re-Use, the government's Minister for Digital
| Engagement (yes, really, and he's on Twitter too) significantly revised the
| brave but toothless policy of 2004 "that it should seek to use Open Source
| where it gave the best value for money to the taxpayer in delivering public
| services". This is fantastic news - the digital tipping point is at hand.
| (The publication is also progressive in having nominated use of the
| tag "#ukgovOSS" in comment and coverage so it can be found and aggregated).
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/uk_government_endorses_open_source

Government publishes open-source strategy

http://www.vnunet.com/computing/news/2237208/government-publishes-open

Government publishes open-source strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| The announcement follows a recent declaration by shadow chancellor George
| Osborne that the Conservative Party favours the greater use of open source
| and would take action to prove a "level playing field".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/25/gov_open_source/

Recent:

Tories consider IT contract cap

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of awarding long-term contracts to large IT companies they could open
| up the procurement process to smaller firms using "open source" software.

Tories Back Open Source Software...They Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Fine words butter no cyber-parsnips, of course, and I'll believe all this
| when I see it. Still, it's a start, and it would be good to see Labour
| finally admitting that its megalomaniacal, monolithic computing projects are
| failures, and adopting the decentralised, distributed approach the Tories are
| advocating here.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1791&blogid=14

Tories consider open source and limit on size of government IT projects

,----[ Quote ]
| Shadow chancellor George Osbourne is considering a report that recommends
| putting a £100m spending cap on government IT contracts and opening up
| procurement to small firms using open source software.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/open-source-business/news/index.cfm?newsid=13011

UK Councils to explore Open Source benefits

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11144.html