Re: Checkout the new ARM GNU/Linux netbooks !!

____/ Chris Ahlstrom on Wednesday 25 February 2009 12:21 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> ____/ Andrew Halliwell on Wednesday 25 February 2009 00:00 : \____

>>> It's all microsoft have that'll run on ARM, so they'll pull an XP.
>>> (XP should've been dead for a year by now if microsoft hadn't had the
>>> netbooks sprung on 'em)
>>
>> They hire some BSD devs (while firing the Windows one) for the Danger assets
>> they acquired.
>>
>> Interesting times.
>
> Huh?  Oh!
>
>    http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?newsid=24811
>
>    Microsoft may go open source with Danger
>    Microsoft looking for a NetBSD developer to work on the Danger Sidekick
>    mobile phone
>
>    While NetBSD could be the basis of an open system, D'Amore said he'd be
>    "shocked and amazed if Microsoft was involved in the development of a
>    product which used NetBSD at its core and supported developer access to
>    NetBSD APIs [application programming interfaces]," he said. "It is very
>    possible to build completely closed systems around NetBSD."

If Microsoft does not dump Windows' little brother, then it's duplication of
effort.

To tell you the truth, I don't think that even Microsoft know what the hell
it's doing. It makes company-grabbing moves as its market prospects decline.
It's like with Yahoo... go into over $20bn in debt just for a /CHANCE/ to
compete with Google. But two crappy SEs (Yahoo and Live) /combined/ don't make
a 'better' Google. Likewise, Danger+WM don't make a better Android, iPhone, or
Blackberry. Combining two turds don't[sic] make gold !!

There were many speculations about Microsoft buying Blackberry, but Microsoft
is probably too poor for that now. And again, what would that mean to WM
(duplication, competing against self)?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  {Hide sig}    {Show sig}    >{Close Application}<
Cpu(s): 22.6%us,  5.0%sy,  0.1%ni, 70.6%id,  1.3%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st