[News] Wikileaks' Radical Transparency Exposes MEPs Corruption

Secret report reveals how MEPs make millions

,----[ Quote ]
| A LEAKED internal report has revealed systematic abuses by Euro MPs of
| parliamentary allowances that enable them to pocket more than £1m in profits
| from a single five-year term, writes Jonathan Oliver.
`----

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/Secret_report_reveals_how_MEPs_make_millions

Recent:

Wikileaks Publishes $1B Worth of Congressional Reports

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikileaks.org, the online clearinghouse for leaked documents, has published a
| complete database of Congressional Research Service reports, which are
| private research documents written for members of Congress and their
| staffers.
|
| The 6,780 reports date back to 1990 and comprise all of the digitized reports
| accessible by congressional offices, said Wikileaks, which estimated their
| value at US$1 billion. They do not contain classified material, but they do
| cover politically sensitive topics such as social policy, defense and foreign
| affairs.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/159237/wikileaks_publication.html?tk=rss_news

Extreme Openness: the Rise of Wikileaks

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a long journalistic tradition of looking back at
| the end of the year over the major events of the preceding
| 12 months - one that I have no intention of following. But
| I would like to point out an important development in the
| world of openness that has occurred over that time-span:
| the rise and rise of Wikileaks.
|
| The site was actually founded two years ago, but most
| people (including myself) didn't really become aware of it
| until this year. Now Wikileaks is frequently to be found in
| the eye of the storm. Indeed, it seems consciously to be
| raising its sights ever higher: recently, it has published
| documents that are acutely embarrassing to the German and
| British governments.
|
| This is all good stuff, but I do worry that at some point
| the goading will get too much, and the needling too
| successful, until repressive governments like the one
| currently running the UK will fight back hard - citing the
| tired old tropes about "terrorism" or "child pornography"
| or maybe just "leaves on the track" - by ordering ISPs to
| block Wikileaks and any mirrors that pop up.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1676&blogid=14

Breaking: Wikileaks Missing

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/breaking-wikilinks-missing

Related:

Wikileaks Shutdown: Censorship Is Censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| If Wikileaks were a print publication, the injunction that has shut down the
| site would be unthinkable. Back in 1931, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a
| Minnesota law that allowed the closing of any "malicious, scandalous and
| defamatory" periodical. This court, by contrast, has not only barred future
| publication of the documents at issue but elected to put Wikileaks out of
| business.

Free Speech Advocates Mount Legal Battle to Unchain Wikileaks

,----[ Quote ]
| In Bank Julius Baer & Co., Ltd v. Wikileaks, et al, the plaintiff claims that
| the posting of certain documents to the Wikileaks site violated Swiss and
| Cayman Island bank secrecy laws.
|
| Judge Jeffrey White ordered domain registrar Dynadot to disable Wikileaks.org
| to lift the injunction claim that it violates the First Amendment.

WikiLeaks Under Fire

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/02/18/043211&from=rss