[News] KDE Developers Strut Their Code

Post 4.2 features - part 2 [update]

,----[ Quote ]
| In previous versions of Lancelot, when using the no-click activation, there
| was some space between the lists while browsing the applications. The space
| was needed because of extenders and scroll-bars. Scroll-bars, obviously,
| still need the space like before, but the extenders don’t.
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2009/02/22/post_42_features_part2/

KDE Commit Digest: Issue 148: 1st February 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Initial support for adding video and audio previewing (similar to the file
| dialog) to Dolphin's metadata panel. A new "highlight window" effect for
| KWin-Composite. Filtering support in the "FileWatcher" Plasmoid, work on
| the "Welcome" Plasmoid, and initial import of "OpenBrain" and "Translatoid"
| Plasma widgets. Experiments to make a screensaver using KGLEngine. First
| approach on integrating an "interactive graphs concept" in KAlgebra. Initial
| code for an object-oriented KTurtle. Initial work on a 3D view completed in
| Kolf NG (a rewrite effort).
`----

http://commit-digest.org/issues/2009-02-01/

Recent:

Post 4.2 features - part 1 [Lancelot]

,----[ Quote ]
| New system buttons
|
| One of the first requested features, even before the Lancelot brainstorm
| thread on KDE forums was to change the system buttons from Lock Session, Log
| Out and Switch User to something else because some users don’t use some of
| the buttons. Radically changing the Lancelot behaviour this late in its age
| of existence is something that can not be considered. But the users should
| have some freedom.
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2009/02/20/post_42_features_part1/

You’ve got branched!

,----[ Quote ]
| While this is great news for 4.2, it is even better for 4.3. This means that
| the SVN trunk is now exiting the /feature freeze/ state. This is a great
| thing for developers because the development becomes fun again (squashing
| bugs can not be labeled as fun), great for PlanetKDE readers since you’ll get
| real news from now on, and great for feature junkies for obvious reasons.
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2009/01/05/you-got-branched/

Lancelot, and the Knights of the Plasma Widget

,----[ Quote ]
| As someone who is a stickler for usability and efficiency, this sort of
| project is really brilliant. The fact that there is competition between
| different menu systems is part of what gives open-source operating systems an
| edge over the commercial ones.
`----

http://bushweed.blogspot.com/2008/12/lancelot-and-knights-of-plasma-widget.html

Lancelot reaches Holy Grail of KDE menu

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4 is barely eight months old, and already it has three options for a main
| menu. Until now, users have either used the default Kickoff, which makes for
| awkward navigation of the menu tree, or reverted to the familiar but unwieldy
| classic menu. Now, with the first full release of Lancelot, users have
| another option that overcomes the shortcomings of both other alternatives and
| gives KDE 4 a thoroughly modern menu.
|
| [...]
|
| These points aside, Lancelot is in many ways what Kickoff should have been.
| It makes Kickoff structures work without inhibiting navigation or adding
| unnecessary complexity. I would not be greatly surprised if, a few releases
| down the road, Lancelot becomes the default menu in the KDE 4 series.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147167

Lancelot revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, not exactly, but now you can get the general idea, and you can see what
| it will look like
|
| This is an actual screenshot, not a mock up...
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/2007/10/27/lancelot-revealed/

Related:

The LHC is using KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| I found some more interesting images:
|
| http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-35141-3.html
| http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-35141-5.html
| http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ohptoftimemeasured13sepjy2.png (from
| slashdot.org)
`----

http://blog.scopeport.org/nix/lhc-kde/

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html