[News] GNU/Linux at Very High Production Mode

The Smell of Linux Spirit

,----[ Quote ]
| New versions of Linux distributions are churned out at a remarkable pace.
`----

http://linuxgeeksunited.blogspot.com/2009/01/smell-of-linux-spirit.html

One recipe, many flavors of the the popular linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| See, the thing is, Linux is the Kernel, not the operating system. They all
| run the same commands the same way. All the differences? Those are just
| personal choices. Skins. Pacages, application. What you like and what works
| for you. That’s how to grok Linux. It’s not about the choices. It’s about
| what works for you.
`----

http://www.byzantineroads.info/2009/02/debian-ubuntu-mint-and-more/

Recent:

Linux Development Thriving

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time when developers were clamouring all over Microsoft, but
| latest figures from Evans Data shows that fewer than one in ten software
| developers are writing applications for Windows Vista this year – just eight
| percent. To rub salt in the wound, the data shows that 49 percent of
| developers are writing applications for Windows XP.
|
| Linux is also thriving it would seem. 13 percent are writing applications,
| with 15.5 percent in 2009.
|
| [...]
|
| Unfortunately for Microsoft, that probably means re-investing in XP and
| dumping Vista like an unwanted prom date.
`----

http://www.linuxsolutions.fr/linux-development-thriving/

Vista's big problem: 92 percent of developers ignoring it

,----[ Quote ]
| Such appreciation for history is not likely to warm the cockles of
| Microsoft's heart, especially when Linux is getting lots of love from
| developers (13 percent writing apps for it this year and 15.5 percent in
| 2009).
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9969231-16.html

Coders Tell Why They're Avoiding Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. undoubtedly wanted to avoid its current predicament. It has
| been publicly talking up features in Vista since 2003 -- half a decade.
|
| But such "overmarketing," as Krasowski calls it, can rebound. Experienced
| developers have become jaded towards the third-party apps Microsoft trots out
| as exemplars of Redmond's latest technology -- "demoware," he calls them --
| that sparkle with flashy animation and video.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146035/coders_tell_why_theyre_avoiding_vista.html

Guess What? Fox News is Responsive to the Linux Community.

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Denis also stated that most of the Fox News developers use Ubuntu.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2008/04/28/guess-what-fox-news-is-responsive-to-the-linux-community/

Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'

,----[ Quote ]
| As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP, company
| CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
| Seattle event on Thursday.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144773/ballmer_vista_is_a_work_in_progress.html

Related:

Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-did-bill-gates-just-say-windows-sucks