[News] Google Takes on the Patent Trolls, 4G Possibly 'Dead' Due to Patents

Google takes risky patent fights to court

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Inc. is going on the offensive to fight patent claims, a strategy the
| Internet search company says will deter frivolous lawsuits. The number of
| patent challenges against Google rose to 14 last year, from 11 in 2007 and
| three in 2006. The company wants to curb that growth by fighting rather than
| settling lawsuits, said Catherine Lacavera, Googles senior litigation
| counsel.
`----

https://www.dailyreportonline.com/litereg.asp?firstPass=true&origin=liteReg&individual_SQL=2%2F19%2F2009%4029888&mode=content&dateline=2%2F19%2F2009&head=Google+takes+risky+patent+fights+to+court&body=Google+Inc%2E+is+going+on+the+offensive+to+fight+patent+claims%2C+a+strategy+the+Internet+search+company+says+will+deter+frivolous+lawsuits%2E++The+number+of+patent+challenges+against+Google+rose+to+14+last+year%2C+from+11+in+2007+and+three+in+2006%2E+The+company+wants+to+curb+that+growth+by+fighting+rather+than+settling+lawsuits%2C+said+Catherine+Lacavera%2C+Google%27s+senior+litigation+counsel%2E++%93I+would+love+to+say+we%27re+seeing+a+le
http://tinyurl.com/aaqlqf

Will 4G get stuck in the technology patent trap?

,----[ Quote ]
| WCMDA offered higher capacities and more features than GSM, but operators
| could not substitute their 2G networks for 3G networks overnight. 3G handsets
| continue to support the previous generation of technology.
|
| This trend will continue with LTE; there will probably never be a pure LTE
| handset – even data-only dongles are likely to be multimode. Next generation
| handsets will likely support LTE, WCDMA and GSM/GPRS, not to mention a number
| of other connection technologies such as Bluetooth, WiFi, WiMAX and RFiD.
|
| Each additional standards-based technology will add incremental cost to the
| product in terms of technical complexity, but also royalty costs. The mix of
| other technologies expected in modern handsets such as MP3, cameras, DVB-H,
| GPS and touch screens increase this complexity further.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2009/02/20/45507/will-4g-get-stuck-in-the-technology-patent-trap.htm

Related:

Terms and conditions apply: patent deal agreed for LTE

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://web20.telecomtv.com/pages/?newsid=42983&id=e9381817-0593-417a-8639-c4c53e2a2a10