[News] Free Software Enables People, Helps Eliminate Divide

Getting Girls Into Tech

,----[ Quote ]
| Most kids need a lot of encouragement and support to discover and pursue
| their real dreams. It's the rare maverick who is born with enough inner
| strength and stubbornness to persist in the face of continual opposition, and
| the most difficult kind to resist is the gentle, well-meaning kind from
| people who think they know what is best for you. The FOSS world is the best
| playground of all for anyone who is seriously interested in high-tech; I'd
| like to see it become a lot more child-friendly, and especially
| girl-friendly.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/02/getting-girls-i.html

Experts work to unlock PCs for African users

,----[ Quote ]
| The ANLoc Network is encouraging African language speakers in African and the
| diaspora to celebrate International Mother Language Day by helping to develop
| a locale for their language.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=4148

Related:

Technology and the developing world

,----[ Quote ]
| Software
|
| When it comes to software, many in the developing world are
| excited about the potential of open source to speed the
| technologization of resource-poor economies. Open source
| software is, by definition, free. And the range of software
| available is now staggering - spanning everything from the
| most basic applications for individuals to the most
| sophisticated server infrastructure for large businesses.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/2006/12/20/magazines/fortune/kirkpatrick_UN_speech.fortune/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote

Tech targets the Third World

,----[ Quote ]