[News] Big Protest in New Zealand Against MAFIAA's 'Intellectual' Abuse, Invasion

  • Subject: [News] Big Protest in New Zealand Against MAFIAA's 'Intellectual' Abuse, Invasion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 04:44:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Today's webtip: Blackouts and Bandits

,----[ Quote ]
| You can turn your icon black, send a few links, try to shake up your friends,
| and maybe educate or at least awake a few other individuals to the issues
| that are waiting to gobble us all up, but in the end, that's it. The fight
| against the European and Canadian DMCA and the various software patent
| campaigns have shown that in the end, the industry can wait you out. We might
| be able to hold them off for one round, maybe even score the odd win or two,
| but they will just keep coming back for more. They have deeper pockets and a
| more unified front than the end user (I think they used to be called
| citizens) does.
`----

http://fm4.orf.at/stories/1601281/

New Zealand copyright protest blockades parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| The fight over the controversial amendments to New Zealand's copyright law is
| heating up.
|
| Thursday at noon, some 120 protesters descended upon the parliament in the
| capital, Wellington, and handed over an e-petition against the amendments
| with over 12,000 signatories, and a traditional one with 148 names, to the
| United Future party leader Peter Dunne.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-270800.html

Recent:

New Zealand Goes Black

,----[ Quote ]
| The previous government in New Zealand enacted an amendment to the Copyright
| Act that required ISPs to have a policy to disconnect users after repeated
| accusations of infringement, over the objections of technologists.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/02/new-zealand-goes-black.html

RIAA lies exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| THE RIAA HAS BEEN OUTED as a lying toad as it claimed in a letter sent out on
| December 23rd last year that it was discontinuing lawsuits when in fact, this
| was simply not the case.
|
| Mitch Bainwol’s letter to the Congressional Committees claimed that the
| Recording Industry Association of America "discontinued initiating new
| lawsuits in August."
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/869/1050869/riaa-lies-exposed

RIAA and BSA's Favorite Lawyers Taking Top Department of Justice Posts

,----[ Quote ]
| RIAA-fan Biden's influence in the Obama administration may be larger than
| anticipated, at least when it comes to file sharing: His good pals with RIAA
| and BSA connections keep getting Department of Justice's seats.
|
| According to CNET, "President Obama is continuing to fill the senior ranks of
| the U.S. Department of Justice with the copyright industry's favorite
| lawyers" with the selection of Donald Verrilli, from the Verrilli Family, el
| Señor Presidente's latest acquisition.
`----

http://i.gizmodo.com/5146966/riaa-and-bsas-favorite-lawyers-taking-top-department-of-justice-posts

Obama names Doerr, Phillips to economic board

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10158505-38.html