[News] Times Online (UK) Does an Article About Free Software and GNU/Linux

An open source to a brighter future?

,----[ Quote ]
| Giving your core product away is certainly an unusual business strategy, yet
| some succesful software companies are doing exactly that
|
| [...]
|
| Red Hat, the company which spearheads the development of the Linux operating
| system, generated revenues of half a billion dollars in the 2008 financial
| year, the vast proportion of which was profit, while IT company, Sun
| Microsystems, spent $1 billion in February 2008 to acquire database provider,
| MySQL.
|
| The common thread is that both Linux and MySQL are open source systems. So
| what is open source?
`----

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/related_reports/business_solutions/article5766875.ece

Recent:

Tories consider IT contract cap

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of awarding long-term contracts to large IT companies they could open
| up the procurement process to smaller firms using "open source" software.

Tories Back Open Source Software...They Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Fine words butter no cyber-parsnips, of course, and I'll believe all this
| when I see it. Still, it's a start, and it would be good to see Labour
| finally admitting that its megalomaniacal, monolithic computing projects are
| failures, and adopting the decentralised, distributed approach the Tories are
| advocating here.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1791&blogid=14

Tories consider open source and limit on size of government IT projects

,----[ Quote ]
| Shadow chancellor George Osbourne is considering a report that recommends
| putting a £100m spending cap on government IT contracts and opening up
| procurement to small firms using open source software.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/open-source-business/news/index.cfm?newsid=13011

UK Councils to explore Open Source benefits

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11144.html