[News] Mozilla and Linux Takes Windows' Lunch in Phones

Mozilla's mobile Fennec open to add-ons

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has been working for years on creating a handset version of its
| successful Firefox desktop browser. In April last year, however, it said it
| was making a fresh effort at moving Firefox onto phones and other handheld
| devices, naming the project 'Fennec'.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-270823.html

Windows Mobile 6.5 Debuts But Is It Too Late?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think that the Windows Mobile operating system will fade and they'll
| [Microsoft] build a shell on top of Linux," Mathias predicted. Why? Because
| of costs.
|
| Profit margins on mobile phones are tight and anywhere a device maker can
| save a dime, it will. Windows Mobile is expensive in comparison to Linux, so
| he predicts that Linux will win out longer-term.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3803671/Windows+Mobile+65+Debuts+But+Is+It+Too+Late.htm

Recent:

Fennec Alpha 2 focuses on performance

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest Fennec alpha 2 release, which is likely to
| become Mobile Firefox in 2009, still runs only on Nokia's
| N810 Internet Tablets but there are Windows, OS X and Linux
| versions that emulate mobile experience on a desktop for
| testing purposes. The software delivers improved
| performance, faster startup as well as accelerated
| rendering and a streamlined user interface.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/40744/145/

Mozilla Debuts Mobile Browser Alpha

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla late Thursday released the first public preview of its mobile
| browser, and took the unusual step of offering it in versions for desktop PCs
| and Macs to collect feedback.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/152426/mozilla_alpha_browser.html?tk=rss_news

Firefox for Mobile: What you need to know

,----[ Quote ]
| How would you like to be among the first to get touchy-feely with the next
| mobile browser everyone's talking about? Mozilla's release of the Firefox for
| Mobile alpha code, code-named Fennec, grants that wish to users of the Nokia
| N810 and N800 Internet tablet (installation details here).
`----

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-10069208-12.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Firefox for Mobile: first screenshots!

,----[ Quote ]
| The Awesome Bar, which lets you search for pages intuitively and directly, is
| prominent, though can clearly be tidied away for a more screen estate for the
| web page itself.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/firefox-for-mobile-first-screenshots--475458

Mozilla plans mobile Firefox, plus 'public resource' usage data

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla's chief has set goals for the development of the open source project
| over the next two years, including the release of a mobile version of Firefox
| by 2010.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/19/moz_mission_statement/

Mozilla's Mobile Firefox Targets Summer Release

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/148279/mozillas_mobile_firefox_targets_summer_release.html