[News] Debian Derivative for Healthcare is Born

Debian Med released with Debian 5.0 (Lenny)

,----[ Quote ]
| The recent release of Debian 5.0 (Lenny) contains a lot of medical software
| which is interesting for several tasks in medical work. The strongest part
| remains the support of microbiological applications but also medical imaging
| and the practice management GNUmed are included now. Perhaps an article on
| The Register might be interesting as well.
`----

http://linuxmednews.com/1234945469

VistA makes some press too:

Senior Subjects: Building a 21st-century VA

,----[ Quote ]
| The key to the success that VistA has had for many years is the way it was
| written. As you may know, computer programs are written in special code that
| translates into instructions for the machines. The code for VistA was what we
| now think of as “open source” code. Any skilled programmer could use that
| code to modify existing modules or to create new applications to do new jobs
| and connect them so that they are an integral part of the whole system. As
| open source code increases in popularity, we see it used in operating systems
| (Linux), in Internet browsers (Firefox), and in applications for some new
| computers like “netbooks.”
`----

http://www.wickedlocal.com/lincoln/news/lifestyle/columnists/x1802687324/Senior-Subjects-Building-a-21st-century-VA

Recent:

VistA now all open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The big open source struggle that began with Linux, moved to enterprise
| applications and then the consumer space, is now pointed directly at the
| heads of doctors and hospitals.
|
| VistA, the public record EHR and hospital management software created by the
| Veterans Administration, is once again an open source movement with word that
| DSS, its biggest commercial licenser, is switching to the Eclipse Public
| License.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=3266

Healthcare Conference to Focus on Open Source Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/healthcare-conference-to-focus-on-open-source-solutions