[News] Free Software Phones Gain Momentum Despite Broken Economy

Slowdown accelerates Linux growth in mobiles

,----[ Quote ]
| With deteriorating global economic conditions making their impact felt in the
| wireless industry, handset OEMs and mobile network operators are looking
| towards Linux-based operating systems to cut costs and diversify handset
| portfolios.
|
| While Linux-based operating systems making their presence felt in the mobile
| handset market for years, growth has been slow and steady until recently.
| However, recent announcements from Motorola, Vodafone, HTC, and Huawei, among
| others, all stating that Linux-based operating systems will figure in their
| upcoming handset releases, clearly demonstrate that OEMs and operators are
| ready to embrace Linux on a larger scale.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Technology/Mobility/Feature/Slowdown-accelerates-Linux-growth-in-mobiles/17209116178/0/

Open-source firms battle for market

,----[ Quote ]
| The big news from the GSMA Mobile World Congress this year: New phones using
| the Android, LiMo and Symbian open-source operating systems are rolling out
| in 2009.
|
| What's unusual is that it is not the handsets themselves that are creating
| the buzz so much as what is under the hood and invisible to the user, the
| basic software. Lines are being drawn in the battle for dominance among the
| three main systems.
`----

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gykRB35UfwlDfN2potBksrGBTLyQ

Recent:

Open-Source Mobile Telephony Goes Legit

,----[ Quote ]
| While big business may be crowning open source as the king of server-based
| computing, most enterprise movers and shakers vehemently deny any such moves
| in telephony. Yet, open source in telecom is long past its debut and is, in
| fact, already in play in much of the Fortune 500. So why is open source a
| legitimate option in enterprise computing but bastardized so much in
| telephony?
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/477349/Open_Source_Mobile_Telephony_Goes_Legit

MIT students demonstrate their Android applications

,----[ Quote ]
| This just in; kids that go to MIT are really F-ing smart. I just saw seven
| Android applications that have been developed over the short span of four
| months — with very little (if any) money — as part of a class
| called “Building Mobile Applications with Android”. It was a lot like most
| college presentations, except that HTC, Google, Verizon, Sprint, and the
| press don’t usually show up.
|
| Hit the jump for a peek at the applications.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/05/09/mit-students-demonstrate-their-android-applications/

T-Mobile and Google cozy up with Android

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/04/26/t-mobile-and-google-cozy-up-with-android