[News] Google Relies on Free Software and Noted by Microsoft Lackey

Why Google loves open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps that's because Google apparently recognizes that open source isn't
| something to be strip-mined. For open source to succeed, it must be made into
| a renewable resource. That means contributing back. It means respecting the
| community and feeding it.
|
| Google groks this. The next phase is to convince enterprise IT to contribute
| back, too, as it is the group most in need of the cost savings, innovation,
| and efficiency that open source can provide. Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst has
| been calling for greater enterprise IT participation in open-source
| communities. Let's hope they listen.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10164896-16.html

Game-changers - Google or Apple?

,----[ Quote ]
| When I caught up with Google's mobile chief Hugo Barra, I asked him whether
| he was disappointed that Android hadn't yet taken over the world. He insisted
| that the hundreds of applications now being built for the new operating
| system proved that it was going to be very popular with all sorts of
| manufacturers - but pointed out that as it was an open-source system, he'd be
| the last to know what was in the pipeline because nobody needed to tell
| Google.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/02/gamechangers_google_or_apple.html

The writer, Rory, is a friend of Microsoft.

Recent:

Why open source is good for Google

,----[ Quote ]
| At Google, we love open source for a few reasons. First, it speeds
| innovation. Open source lowers the barrier to entry for users, website
| owners, and application developers. It means there can be another Google, or
| another Yahoo!, started from someone's garage in Auckland or Arhus with very
| little capital required, because the building blocks for success are freely
| available.
`----

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4848596a28.html

Google augments open-source spell-check