[News] Coverage from Second Day of FOSDEM 2009

Open Source News from FOSDEM 2009 - Day 2

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weekend of 7 and 8 February, the 9th Free & Open Source Developers'
| Europe Meeting (FOSDEM) took place at the Université Libre Bruxelles (ULB) in
| Brussels. Your editors Sander Marechal and Hans Kwint attended this meeting
| to find out for you what's hot, new in the area of the Linux environment and
| might be coming to you in the near future. This is our report of the second
| day covering the talks about Thunderbird 3, Debian release management, Ext4,
| Syslinux, CalDAV and more.

blog(FOSDEM, 2009);

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been five years since the first Free Java developer meeting at FOSDEM.
| It's amusing to look back to how a bunch of nice people first met there,
| sharing the dev room with Debian, to discuss packaging and steps towards
| liberation of Java. It makes me feel like an old guy. At the same time, it
| makes me feel like someone with a lot of old friends, so that's not so bad,
| after all. Not bad at all.
|
| [...]
|
| The final set of talks was devoted to community building, priorities and
| everything around that. Petteri Räty spoke on recruiting, communication, and
| lessons learned from the Gentoo Java project's efforts to expand the set of
| developers, and share the workload of maintaining many packages onto many
| shoulders.
`----

http://robilad.livejournal.com/44331.html

FOSDEM 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The volunteer organisers of the "Free and Open Source Developers' European
| Meeting" (FOSDEM 2009) demonstrated the fine art of scalability with a very
| well organised event. 250 talks for 5000 developers arriving from all over
| Europe, were held with very few problems. If such an event can have a general
| technical hot topic, then it was the omnipresent netbook and any number of
| Android mobiles: open source can slim down, be purged of non-essentials,
| start faster and look forward to a buoyant open future, running as a stable
| OS on many new small devices.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/FOSDEM-2009-surviving-the-crisis-with-open-source--/features/112609

FOSDEM: Pride and Success in 2009