[News] [Rival] Microsoft Security Failures Lead to Utter Fiasco

Conficker worm has become a PR problem

,----[ Quote ]
| In other words, bad man make worm, good company willing to spend tons of
| money to catch bad man. Naughty man must go to jail. Plays wonderfully well
| with the public, especially in the US of A. If you leave your front door wide
| open, the man who steals from you is the one to be blamed. You are certainly
| not responsible.
|
| Add to this a conga line of self-serving anti-virus vendors, who love to use
| the worm to drum up fear (and, incidentally, sales) by externalising the
| fault.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23262/1231/

Does Microsoft's Patch Tuesday Need Fixing?

,----[ Quote ]
| In December, for example, Microsoft was forced to release an emergency,
| out-of-cycle patch for Internet Explorer (IE) to close a security hole that
| allowed attackers to infect more than 2 million machines. The malware allowed
| the bad guys to steal such personal data as passwords when the user visited
| one of at least 10,000 compromised websites.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/159563/patch_tuesday_outdated.html?tk=rss_news

Microsoft's CAPTCHA revolutions busted by spammers - again and again

,----[ Quote ]
| Spammers have once again ramped up the siege on Microsoft's Live Hotmail
| services, by busting Microsoft's latest, redesigned CAPTCHA system.
`----

http://securitylabs.websense.com/content/Blogs/3306.aspx

Many Brits Too Scared to Shop Online

,----[ Quote ]
| Over 40 percent of Brits refuse to shop online because they are concerned
| about security, says CyberSource.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/159568/scared_to_shop_online.html?tk=rss_news

Recent:

Virus strikes 15 million PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| A virulent computer virus has infected as many as 15 million computers around
| the world so far, according to various estimates.
|
| The virus -- a self-replicating computer worm known as Downadup, Conficker or
| Kido -- spreads across computer networks using Microsoft Windows software
| which have not been patched or updated properly. Microsoft issued a patch
| that fixes the vulnerability the virus exploits last October.
`----

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/01/26/Virus_strikes_15_million_PCs/UPI-19421232924206/

Windows worm: Security experts waiting for activation of 'botnet'

,----[ Quote ]
| Computer experts are preparing to respond to further virus outbreaks and
| security threats posed by the Windows worm, known as Conficker, Kido and
| Downadup, which has infected more than 15 million PCs worldwide.
`----

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/microsoft/4345295/Windows-worm-Security-experts-waiting-for-activation-of-botnet.html

Microsoft May Accelerate Buybacks

,----[ Quote ]