[News] Top Free (Libre) Games for GNU/Linux

Top 10 best open source games

,----[ Quote ]
| 1.)  Tremulous – This is hugely popular open source title, being downloaded
| millions of times since its inception in 2006.  Tremulous is a team-based
| first-person shooter with real-time strategy elements as well.  The game is
| very similar to Quake II and III, and was actually born out of the commercial
| modification of Quake III Arena.  The game-play is inspired the Quake II
| modification known as “Gloom.”  If you’re a fan of Quake, you’ll like
| Tremulous.  There’s already a huge development community and support
| structure in place, and it’s available on all major platforms – FreeBSD,
| Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.
|
| 2.)  Netrek – This is another long-time favorite in the open source gaming
| genre.  It’s an Internet-based game that can be played by up to 16 players.
| The game can actually be classed as a hybrid multi-directional shooter and
| real time strategy game.  It combines “twitch” style
| action-game “dogfighting” with extensive team play and strategy.  The game is
| loosely based on Star Trek Universe, in which each player controls a
| starship, and has been under development continually since 1986 when it was
| created a successor to Xtrek.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2009/02/15/top-10-best-open-source-games/

Making money with "free-to-play" games

,----[ Quote ]
| Free-to-play games are looking more and more like open source products as
| commercial entities behind the development and operations figure out ways in
| which to add value and monetize their user base.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10164614-62.html

Recent:

Here’s to reaching the “Games for Linux” tipping point

,----[ Quote ]
| To get Games for Linux (no TM yet) we need to reach a tipping point, either
| on the side of Gamers which will convince the Publishers that there is a
| market, or on the side of Publishers which will allow enough gamers to try
| the OS out without much gaming withdrawal. Lets hope that the results for the
| WoG experiment will be another small push towards that point.
`----

http://dbzer0.com/blog/heres-to-reaching-the-games-for-linux-tipping-point

Related:

QuakeWars for Linux to Be Released Soon