[News] American Public Looting Used to Fund Free(dom) Software

Open Source Study Included In US Stimulus Package

,----[ Quote ]
| Buried deep in the details of the US stimulus package is an interesting
| provision that might go a long way toward helping Open Source software break
| into the medical area. It says that the Secretary of Health and Human
| Services should study the availability of open source health technology
| systems (PDF, page 488), compare their TCO against proprietary systems and
| report on what they find no later than Oct 1, 2010. Slashdotters may also be
| interested in the language that starts on page 553 of that PDF to see just
| what the final package says about broadband.
`----

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/14/1723225&from=rss

Recent:

Transparency and Open Government

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the first documents our new President signed within his first day in
| office is this memorandum on Transparency and Open Government.  It is a memo
| that I am personally very happy to see, not only because I agree so strongly
| with its content.  For the last couple of months I have been a member of the
| Technology, Innovation & Government Reform (TIGR) transition policy group
| focusing on innovation and government.  This Presidential memo covers
| precisely the area that we worked on.
`----

http://blog.irvingwb.com/blog/2009/01/transpar.html

An open door for open source?

,----[ Quote ]
| Federal government puts out a call for information on free software
|
| [...]
|
| Some examples of popular open-source software include the Linux operating
| system, the word processing suite OpenOffice and the web browser Mozilla
| Firefox.
`----

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/02/12/tech-feds-open-source.html

Vietnam to widely use open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Vietnams Ministry of Information and Communications has instructed that 100%
| of all of Vietnams government agencies servers must run free software by June
| 30, 2009. They also mandate that IT divisions train their staff to use this
| software and require 50% of the drones to be able to use the
| technology “proficiently”.
`----

http://billyduc.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/vietnam-to-widely-use-open-source-software/

Cuba Launches Own Linux Variant to Counter U.S.

,----[ Quote ]
| A Linux operating system variant called Nova, introduced in Cuba at a
| computer conference on technological sovereignty, is part of an effort to
| replace the Microsoft software running most of Cuba's computers. The Cuban
| government views the use of Microsoft systems as a potential threat because
| it says U.S. security agencies have access to Microsoft codes.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Cuba-Launches-Own-Linux-Variant-to-Counter-US/?kc=rss

Russian Federation Commits to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software development in Russia is one of the most important
| directives for Igor Schegolev - the Head of the Ministry of Information
| Technologies and Communications of the Russian Federation. At a key meeting
| with Werner Knoblich, Red Hat Vice President for EMEA, he announced support
| for a Russian Fedora association and for Red Hat development in the Russian
| Federation. He also expressed support for open source infrastructure and
| applications, and the development of a repository for industry best practice.

Tories consider IT contract cap

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of awarding long-term contracts to large IT companies they could open
| up the procurement process to smaller firms using "open source" software.

UK Councils to explore Open Source benefits

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11144.html