[News] KDE Still Wins Among Desktop Environments -- Poll

[Lots of other interesting factoids here:]

2008 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award Winners

,----[ Quote ]
| Desktop Distribution of the Year - Ubuntu (35.36%)
| Server Distribution of the Year - Debian (25.55%)
| Live Distribution of the Year - Ubuntu Live (23.43%)
| Database of the Year - MySQL (58.10%)
| Office Suite of the Year - OpenOffice.org (93.03%)
| Browser of the Year - Firefox (75.89%)
| Desktop Environment of the Year - KDE (43.57%)
| Window Manager of the Year - Compiz (31.56%)
| Messaging App of the Year - Pidgin (53.40%)
| Mail Client of the Year - Thunderbird (51.43%)
| Virtualization Product of the Year - VirtualBox (61.10%)
| Audio Media Player Application of the Year - Amarok (48.80%)
| Audio Authoring Application of the Year - Audacity (70.45%)
| Video Media Player Application of the Year - mplayer (38.31%)
| Video Authoring Application of the Year - Avidemux (19.59%)
| Multimedia Utility of the Year - K3b (46.77%)
| Graphics Application of the Year - GIMP (70.41%)
| Network Security Application of the Year - nmap (28.96%)
| Host Security Application of the Year - SELinux (42.86%)
| Monitoring Application of the Year - Nagios (39.74%)
| Windows on Linux App of the Year - Wine (85.21%)
| IDE/Web Development Editor of the Year - Eclipse (24.25%)
| Text Editor of the Year - vi/vim (39.76%)
| File Manager of the Year - Nautilus (25.54%)
| Open Source Game of the Year - Battle for Wesnoth (17.31%)
| Programming Language of the Year - Python (26.25%)
| Backup Application of the Year - rsync (40.10%)
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/2008-linuxquestions.org-members-choice-award-winners-704226/
http://tinyurl.com/dec49x

Recent:

KDE 4.2 Screen Shots

http://www.lampwebsitedesign.com/index.php?linux&release=KDE%204.2

KDE 4.2: I'm tired of Pundits, Here's MY Take

,----[ Quote ]
| For those who say that they cannot deal with a new desktop, get over
| yourselves. KDE 4 is not really that radically different in the big picture.
| I mean, you run programs on a desktop! Sure things are being done a little
| differently than KDE 3.5, but get a grip for a second, the KDE 4 series is
| definitely still KDE at its core. It is not rocket science to learn KDE 4.2
| if you really knew what you were doing in 3.5, and the payoff will be a very
| refined desktop that is both visually pleasing as well as very functional.
`----

http://randomtechoutburst.blogspot.com/2009/01/kde-42-im-tired-of-pundits-heres-my.html

KDE 4.2 Is The Answer

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first time, the KDE 4 series achieves feature completion to make it a
| great rival to KDE 3 and a perfect choice for future KDE distributions. Sure,
| I found some issues with this release, but all the great features and
| improvements more than make up for it, and not everyone is as picky as I am.
| Overall, KDE 4.2 is used happily on all of my comptuers and I look forward to
| further developments from the KDE team.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=167

a big day

,----[ Quote ]
| Lots of dancing and drinking afterwards at the after parties (plural :) and
| when I eventually got up mid-morning I had a couple hundred emails waiting
| for me, way too many of which required my attention. I ended up unexpectedly
| in a few online meetings which altered my expected schedule significantly. Oh
| well, tomorrow's another day ... on which I have two more presentations to
| give.
|
| In that same time, The Dot got a great new look and KDE 4.2 was released.
|
| Exciting times indeed!
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/01/big-day.html

New features in KDE 4.2