[News] Ripple Effect Over Russia's Government GNU/Linux/FOSS Moves

Russian Federation Commits to Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software development in Russia is one of the most important
| directives for Igor Schegolev - the Head of the Ministry of Information
| Technologies and Communications of the Russian Federation. At a key meeting
| with Werner Knoblich, Red Hat Vice President for EMEA, he announced support
| for a Russian Fedora association and for Red Hat development in the Russian
| Federation. He also expressed support for open source infrastructure and
| applications, and the development of a repository for industry best practice.

National Word Processors?

,----[ Quote ]
| Other governments want to be able to switch to other products or actually do
| that. Most of them migrate to Staroffice or [OpenOffice.org] which support
| the ODF format and the old binary doc format out of the box. Government
| agencies understand that a creation of an international standard as ODF was
| crucial to reduce their switching costs, they understood that only strong
| economic pressure would force Microsoft into full ODF compliance. Some
| governments also understand that you have to invest into alternative products
| and migration studies to further reduce the dependencies and built up the
| market pressure for interoperability.
|
| I wonder if Russia will consider to develop its national word processor as
| well. A wise Russian will understand the danger to their national
| independence that a support for the Open XML format instead of ODF bears. If
| they have no opportunity but to chose Open XML it shows that their national
| independence is already compromised.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-123068/national-word-processors

Russia To Develop a National Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| "According to Russian media, the Russian Government is going to develop a
| National Operating System (Google translation; Russian original) to lower its
| dependencies on foreign software technology licensing. The Russian plan will
| base its efforts on Linux and expects a worldwide impact. Microsoft is also
| involved in the roundtable process that led to the recommendation. The
| Chinese government successfully lowered its Microsoft licensing costs through
| an early investment in a national Linux distribution. I wonder if other large
| markets, such as the European Union, will also develop their own Linux
| distributions or join in the Russian initiative."
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09%2F01%2F23%2F1450224&from=rss

ALT Linux 4.1.1 Desktop Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Alexey Rusakov announced on January 14th the immediate availability of the
| desktop edition of ALT Linux 4.1.1 DVD, a general purpose GNU/Linux
| distribution designed to be used on workstations, laptops and netbooks.
| Besides the usual bug fixes and improvements, ALT Linux 4.1.1's most
| important feature is the inclusion of an installation DVD ISO image with
| English as the default language. "ALT Linux proudly presents a new release of
| our desktop distribution, ALT Linux 4.1.1 Desktop. [...] We also released a
| separate DVD with English as the default language so that you don't need to
| crawl through cryptic Russian letters on early steps. Happy using!" -
| Alexey Rusakov said in the official release announcement.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ALT-Linux-4-1-1-Desktop-Released-102103.shtml

Russia to create "National OS" Based on GNU/Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the proposal is still in its early stages, the attractiveness of the
| proprosal to a government keen to assert its independence at all levels is
| obvious. It will be interesting to see how this develops.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/russia-to-create-national-os-based-on.html

The Russian schools Linux pilot goes nationwide

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/06/30/the-russian-schools-linux-pilot-goes-nationwide/

Open source tour of Europe: Russia

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/11/open-source-tour-of-europe-russia/

Moscow regional government to migrate to Open Source desktop

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7635/469

Russians Say Nyet To Windows, But Da To Linux

http://www.bloggernews.net/115636

Open Source Government: Several notes on the Russian Free Software
Development Concept

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/04/24/open-source-government-several-notes-on-the-russian-free-software-development-concept/

Linux Ubuntu PCs set for sale in Russia

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2008/04/23/298333

Linux being launched at schools

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/10/25/272200

Russian Postal Service Wears Red Hat

http://www.hellmail.co.uk/postalnews/templates/postal_global_news.asp?articleid=402&zoneid=11

IBM to offer Linux machines

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29500/IBM-to-offer-Linux-machines

OpenReferent - a New Open Source Challenge to Microsoft Desktop
Software

Open Source Market: FOSS getting hot in Russia

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/03/12/open-source-market-foss-getting-hot-in-russia/

Related:

2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/05/15/249978

Mandriva Linux selected as "Product of the Year 2007" at the Russian
Softool event

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/nov/19/mandriva_linux_selected_as_product_of_the_year_2007_at_the_russian_softool_event

Russian public agencies choose Mandriva

http://www.mandriva.com/company/press/pr/russian_public_agencies_choose_mandriva

Russian Government Will Migrate to OpenSource

http://danays.blogspot.com/2006/12/russian-government-will-migrate-to.html

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

Linux Education in America: Inspiration from Russia?

Russia is latest country to move towards OpenDocument format and open
standards

http://www.itrportal.com/absolutenm/templates/article-docsoft.aspx?articleid=4410&zoneid=57

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007%2F09%2F14%2F266177