[News] SGI Makes Ultra-powerful GNU/Linux; Can Vista Address 21,000,000,000,000 of RAM?

  • Subject: [News] SGI Makes Ultra-powerful GNU/Linux; Can Vista Address 21,000,000,000,000 of RAM?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 01:22:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SGI Altix Systems Make Giant Leap to 21 Terabytes of Globally Addressable
Memory at Customer Sites

,----[ Quote ]
| Silicon Graphics, Inc. (SGI) (Nasdaq:  SGIC) is in a category all by itself
| when it comes to massive globally shared main memory and globally addressable
| memory on SGI(R) Altix(R) 4700 systems. With numerous installations in the 4
| TB range, and a number more in the 8 TB range, the groundbreaking scalability
| of SGI systems extends to 21 TB of globally addressable main memory at
| customer sites. This is over five times the size of memory that other vendors
| can offer today. The system is designed to accommodate 128 terabytes of
| globally shared memory under the control of a single instance of the Linux
| operating system! The system may also be partitioned among multiple instances
| of Linux and provide globally addressable shared memory among OS instances
| via SGI's unique NUMAlink(R) interconnect technology.
`----

http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-10-2009/0004969576&EDATE=

10-Q: SILICON GRAPHICS INC

,----[ Quote ]
| We are a leader in HPC and data management. We sell a broad line of mid-range
| to high-end computing servers, data storage and visualization systems and
| software that provides additional differentiation to these offerings as well
| as on a stand alone basis. In addition, we provide customer support and
| professional services related to our products. We are a leading developer of
| enterprise-class, high-performance features for the Linux operating system.
| We provide our customers with a standard Linux operating environment combined
| with our differentiated Linux extensions that improve performance, simplify
| system management and provide a more robust development environment.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/10-q-silicon-graphics-inc/story.aspx?guid=%7B307E9B3B-193C-4D1F-BF8B-57513479E322%7D&dist=msr_5

Related:

Vista PCs: Suffering from Memory Loss?

,----[ Quote ]
| A reader wants to know why his new computer--which is supposed to have
| 4GB of memory--keeps telling him it really has only 3GB
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2007/tc20070326_121616.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index_technology

Running Microsoft Windows Vista 64bit and 4GB Ram

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://brianleejackson.com/2007/10/21/vista-and-4gb-ram/