[News] Business and Money in Free Software, TOo

Do Top Hackers Have Too Much Money?

,----[ Quote ]
| Having money implies a certain amount of time has passed since you first got
| it, and time changes many things. As most people have found, no matter how
| wonderful a job can seem at first, in the initial flush of triumph and
| enthusiasm, after a while things begin to niggle. You may find the work
| mundane or repetitive, the office uncongenial, management lacking in
| comprehension, or that there are myriad other things that exasperate you.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/do-top-hackers-have-too-much-money

Open source: It's about capitalism, not freebies

,----[ Quote ]
| I've been saying for years that open source is about capitalism, not
| communism.
|
| I used to laugh when Microsoft ignorantly slandered open source
| as "anti-American" because the inverse was so clearly the case (PDF chapter
| from Open Sources 2.0).
|
| Now Forbes, hardly a bastion of communist thought, is running an article that
| profiles several prominent open-source capitalists, including Brian
| Behlendorf (Apache, CollabNet), John Roberts (SugarCRM), and Rod Johnson
| (SpringSource). It turns out that these entrepreneurs have found winning ways
| to turn open source into cash.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10159370-16.html

Microsoft = totality; fascism.

Turning coders into support machines, writers to readers and artists to robots.

Recent:

Business vs. FOSS: Six Pressure Points

,----[ Quote ]
| The question of whether business can co-exist with free and open source
| software (FOSS) was settled long ago. It can, and not only successful
| companies like Red Hat but also the willingness of venture capitalists to
| fund FOSS business models proves the case.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3785311/Business+vs
+FOSS+Six+Pressure+Points.htm

Related:

"Kinder capitalism"? It's called open source, Mr. Gates. You should try it

,----[ Quote ]
| There are other reasons that open source fits Mr. Gates' call for a "kinder
| capitalism." The point is that the open-source revolution Mr. Gates has long
| fought is the single-best answer for building global (IT) economies, just as
| it's doing in Europe right now according to the European Union.
|
| You should try giving away open source as part of your foundation, Mr. Gates.
| You could undo much of the wrongs you've done the world's IT economy.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9858132-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

The GPL is a capitalist's best friend

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPL simply protects through transparency and openness, not opacity and
| closed doors. Many of the industry's most successful open-source vendors use
| the GPL for this very reason.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9896565-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Soviet Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Soviet Union.
| Microsoft isn't evil for being Microsoft, but because its leadership
| values control above delivering good products or advancing the state
| of the art. Rather than competing in the market, Microsoft's
| leadership has pursued a strategy of repeatedly deceiving the market.
| The result has been decades of productivity losses that negatively
| impact the rest of the world's economy and distract humanity away from
| technical achievement to instead fiddle with shoddy software that is
| weak because it was developed outside of competitive pressure....
|
| However, the iron fist of resistance to outside ideas was as
| destructive to the USSR as the inbreeding of royalty was to Europe's
| empire nations before it. Microsoft is facing the same failure by
| arrogantly pushing old strategies and ignoring the potential of open
| source. Microsoft's anti-open rhetoric even sounds a lot like the
| Soviet's view of free markets, laced with fear-based propaganda that
| promises dire consequences for experimenting with the open source
| ideas that are already proven to work outside of the Red Square of
| Redmond....
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/13/soviet-microsoft-how-resistance-to-free-markets-and-open-ideas-will-the-unravel-the-software-superpower/#more-1347

What's all the FUD about?