[News] Amazon Unveils New Device Running Linux (Kindle2)

Stephen King pens Kindle2 exclusive

,----[ Quote ]
| AMAZON IS EXPECTED TO ANNOUNCE the arrival of the new version of its Kindle
| electronic book reader today, and the Wall Street Journal is reporting that
| the internet trader has added a bit of clout to the launch by persuading pulp
| horror author Stephen King to write a new book which will (for the time being
| at least) be available exclusively on the Kindle 2.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/890/1050890/stephen-king-pens-kindle2-exclusive

Amazon unveils Kindle 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| The worst kept secret in literary history has finally been officially
| confirmed by Amazon: the existence of its Kindle 2.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/02/09/kindle_2/

Amazon Raises an E-Book Specter

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123413840248261571.html

It's Defective by Design though. Not Linux, the Amazon part.

Recent:

Adobe Digital Editions: a Fraud!

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not decided yet whose fraud is bigger: Adobe's one, or that of the
| e-book publishers who infamously market the digital content for Adobe Digital
| Editions as content for Adobe Reader?
|
| [...]
|
| You should therefore avoid e-books from HarperCollins, and be cautious: when
| the DRM'ed contents "fine-grained rights", it's unlikely to be a PDF (even if
| marketed as "Adobe Reader"), but something worse.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/12/25/01/11/16-adobe-digital-editions-a-fraud-

Related:

Mobipocket books on Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| We've known for some time already that Amazon's AZW files are actually Mobi
| files, but Amazon didn't share Kindle's Mobi PID which would allow one to buy
| encrypted Mobi books for Kindle.
| Well, I've discovered the algorithm used to generate the PID and was able to
| use it on Fictionwise, but there was another catch. AZW files have a flag set
| in the DRM info which is not present in books bought from other vendors.
| After fixing that, I could read the book on Kindle.
`----

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/mobipocket-books-on-kindle.html

Don't let DRM get between you and a good book

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon Kindle (Swindle), Sony Reader (Sh-reader), and others are all
| competing to control how, what, and when we can read with their competing
| Digital Restrictions Management technologies. Let's let them know that we
| won't buy their ebook readers until they get rid of the DRM!
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/DRMEbookFlyer

The Kindle Swindle

,----[ Quote ]