[News] New Linux RC Reached, Trim is Good

Linus 2.6.29-rc4

,----[ Quote ]
| Another week (and a half), another -rc.
|
| Arch updates (sparc, blackfin), driver updates (dvb, mmc, ide), ACPI
| updates, FS updates (ubifs, btrfs), you name it. It's all there.
|
| But more importantly, people really have been working on regressions, and
| hopefully this closes a nice set of the top one, and hopefully without
| introducing too many new ones.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/8/129

Watch the subject line. He misspelled "Linux".

The incredible shrinking operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| From the software concept called JeOS (pronounced "juice"), the Just Enough
| OS, to hardware concepts like Celio RedFly, an 8-inch screen and keyboard
| device running applications off a smartphone via a USB or a Bluetooth
| connection, there are an increasing number of indications that the center of
| gravity is shifting away from the traditional massive operating systems of
| the past.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/09/02/09/06FE-shrinking-operating-system_1.html

Recent:

GEM Patches Submitted For Linux 2.6.28-rc1

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this month we shared that Intel's GEM would be in Linux 2.6.28 and
| today the patches that add this have been submitted to Linus Torvalds for
| inclusion into the Linux 2.6.28-rc1 kernel. GEM, the Graphics Execution
| Manager, is the kernel memory manager for graphics drivers on Linux that
| replaced Tungsten's TTM in Intel's driver and it's beginning to appear
| elsewhere.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njc4OQ

Intel's GEM Coming In Linux 2.6.28 Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| Since May when Intel first introduced their Graphics Execution Manager after
| X.Org developers were enraged over Tungsten's TTM memory manager and its
| development challenges, we've been talking about GEM several times since
| then.
|
| Intel's Graphics Execution Manager is a kernel memory manager for graphics
| processors and has since overtaken TTM in what will become the de facto
| standard for GPU memory management. A technical explanation of GEM can be
| found here.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njc2NA

The State of Kernel Mode-Setting

,----[ Quote ]
| All of the kernel-based mode-setting excitement in Fedora 9 was limited to
| those using Intel's integrated graphics hardware. With Fedora 10 not only can
| Intel users benefit but so can those with ATI Radeon hardware. Jerome Glisse
| has been working on Radeon kernel mode-setting code since December of last
| year, and in recent months David Airlie and Adam Jackson have joined in on
| this work. For those using an ATI R300 GPU to R500 will have kernel-based
| mode-setting support enabled by default in this next Fedora release. A few
| months back AMD had released a new AtomBIOS parser to the open-source
| community, which is being used for the KMS driver and should enter the
| mainline Linux kernel -- likely with Linux 2.6.28.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=xorg_kms_2008&num=1

Kernel Log: 2.6.27 nearing completion; Btrfs to be added to the kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Kernel-Log-2-6-27-nearing-completion-Btrfs-to-be-added-to-the-kernel--/news/111632