[News] FreeNode Built on Free Software and Turns 15

Happy 15th!

,----[ Quote ]
| 15 years ago, on January 29th 1994 Rob (lilo) Levin first joined the channel
| #linuxneo on the EFNet IRC network. This date has since been referred to as
| the conceptual moment, the foundation, the cornerstone which later led to the
| network you now know as freenode.
|
| Since that January evening in 1994 — the original channel made some network
| moves before it became it’s own network; irc.linpeople.org in 1995 — a few
| name-changes later and we’re freenode. Peaking at just over 52,000 daily
| users, spread across FOSS and other peer-directed communities.
`----

http://blog.freenode.net/2009/01/happy-15th/

Recent:

IRC Clients for Linux Part 2: List of 5 CLI Clients

,----[ Quote ]
| As a conclusion, I strongly recommend Irssi, followed by WeeChat and Epic4.
| The first two are powerful enough, flexible, documented and have scripting
| support, while the latter is a little harder to use (at least in the
| beginning) and it has its own scripting language. Despite this, Epic4 has the
| advantage of giving you total control over how you want its interface to look
| like, and it also provides many scripts on the official website for
| customising it. BitchX is too old now and it's no longer updated, while
| TinyIRC offers only the minimum features needed to connect and interract with
| an IRC server.
`----

http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2008/09/irc-clients-for-linux-part-2-list-of.html

Related:

IRC Clients for Linux - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Since I'm an IRC addict and I always liked to spend time learning new stuff
| on IRC, here is a review of several IRC clients for Linux. Some of them are
| well-known and popular, like XChat, Konversation or Irssi, and others are not
| so widely used or known, but nevertheless, they deserve mentioning.
`----

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/2008/07/irc-clients-for-linux-review.html

10 IRC client for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| For many like me IRC is the main chat medium to share information about
| things we love. Be it linux, Ubuntu, games, whatever; there are always
| channels with many like minded people to talk to. There are a huge number of
| IRC clients out there, listing them all for me would be an impossible task.
| However, I could list 10 IRC clients I have used over the years, which are
| also quite popular among IRC/Linux community.
`----

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/06/26/10-irc-client-for-linux/

Free/Open-source IRC/IM Software

,----[ Quote ]