Re: [News] Sub-notebooks Are Harming Microsoft (Margins, GNU/Linux Growth)

After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> An article Roy posted this morning
> http://bsd.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/03/0146256
> indicates they may be planning to adapt BSD (cf. NeXT and Mac OS) for
> low-power hardware.  Again they won't be able to make money due to the
> general price squeeze, but they may be able to use the efficiency of BSD
> to block Linux adoption.
>
> Funny thing is that they wouldn't gain much by blocking Linux with
> anything other than Windows.  Increased usage of any OS other than
> Windows contributes to the attractiveness of cross-platform development
> and works to break the OS monopoly.

But that factor is somewhat countered by Microsoft's presence, its
market muscle.

Evidence?  They frequently jam beta-quality software down consumer's
throats.  Vista being a case-in-point.

--
World tensions have, if anything, increased in the quarter century since
H. G. Wells uttered his glum warning: "There is no more evil thing on