[News] Positive Signs for Free GIS Software

Podcast: Three Paths to Open Source Geospatial

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source is in the news again. This past week the U.S. Department of
| Defense announced Forge.mil, an open source project repository akin to
| SourceForge. Last month President Obama tapped Sun Co-founder Scott McNealy
| to prepare a document on open source and its potential role in government.
| But what of open source GIS?
`----

http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=3014&trv=1

Actuate Corporation Q4 2008 Earnings Call Transcript

,----[ Quote ]
| We also had over 9,000 registrations with over 5,500 unique commercial
| downloads from BIRT Exchange in 2008 so that’s extremely, extremely
| substantial. As far as the number of transactions with BIRT related products
| and services as you may remember we were extremely excited that we broke the
| 100 mark in Q3 of 2008 just last quarter.
|
| [...]
|
| What I mean by that is our marketing investment in 2009 is making sure that
| everyone that uses BIRT and again today we estimate 500,000 to 600,000
| developers associated with those 6.5 million downloads that they understand
| when they’re creating extremely impactful applications with BIRT they’re
| really creating with a product from Actuate Corporation and that when they
| need additional products and/or services associated with what they’re
| building with BIRT they can always turn to Actuate regardless of the size of
| the added value piece that they’re looking for.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/118050-actuate-corporation-q4-2008-earnings-call-transcript

Recent:

Municipalities open their GIS systems to citizens

,----[ Quote ]
| Many public administrations already use open source
| Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to let citizens look
| at public geographic data trough dedicated Web sites.
| Others use the same software to partially open the data
| gathering process: they let citizens directly add
| geographic information to the official, high-quality GIS
| databases by drawing or clicking on digital maps.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/155792

Related:

Orbit GIS 4.1 for Linux / Unix

http://spatialnews.geocomm.com/dailynews/2006/oct/05/news2.html

Old:

Genasys Announces the Release of Version 9 of their Linux GIS
Powerhouse,GenaMap

http://www.directionsmag.com/press.releases/?duty=Show&id=14279&trv=1