Re: What does Donald Knuth and Microsoft have in common?

In article <1245799.bFTa6HHdk7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx says...

> ____/ Greg Cox on Sunday 01 February 2009 02:57 : \____
>

> > In article <et9f56-3hc.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>, usenet@xxxxxxxxxx says...
> >> http://www.gnu.org/thankgnus/2008supporters.html
> >>
> >> Entries 9 and 27 of the "Sustaining Contributors", respectively.
> >>
> >> "Linux is a cancer" ~ Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO.
> >>
> >> Hypocrite.
> >>

> > This isn't what you think it is.  The Microsoft Giving Campaign is an
> > annual charity drive at Microsoft.  Microsoft employees are encouraged
> > to give a donation to any legally registered charity/non-profit and
> > Microsoft will match the amount given (up to some maximum amount per
> > year).
> >
> > So what you're actually seeing is some number of Microsoft employees
> > donating to gnu.org and getting their donation matched by Microsoft
> > Corp.
>
> They could be trying to shut him up. It's hard to criticise one who puts money
> on your table.

They who?  Microsoft?  Do you honestly think Microsoft is encouraging
their employees to donate money to gnu.org so they they have to match
the donation?  And they expect that this will somehow give them
influence over the business decisions made by gnu.org?  Even worse, do
you honestly think gnu.org is willing to sell themselves to Microsoft
for 30 pieces of silver, uh, a donation between $1000 and $4999?  You
make gnu.org sound like a stereotypical politician.  Is that how you
really see them?

> You should know, Greg. You used to work for Microsoft and now you attend a
> Linux newsgroup where you defend Microsoft.

Yes, I did work for Microsoft.  I was there eighteen years.  And I left
almost ten years ago.  So what?  Oh, now I understand.  I stated
accurate facts that don't mesh with your view of the world 100% so I
must be defending Microsoft.  That's really sad that your world is
limited to just "them" and "us".

--
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
those that understand binary and those that don't." - Unknown