[News] Open-source Politics in the Globe and Mail

Open-source politics breathe fresh air into the Big Smoke

,----[ Quote ]
| In a corner of his wife's office in the Centre for Social Innovation, in an
| old red pile on Spadina, Mark Surman is trying to find a spot quiet enough
| for a phone interview.
|
| "Tonya, can I sit here or will I drive you guys nuts?" he asks above
| clattering keyboards.
|
| "You'll drive us nuts, but we love you."
|
| [...]
|
| "Open" is a hot item in Toronto these days. Mr. Surman is an evangelist for
| the cause of openness. It's not just free, open software like Firefox, built
| by a coalition of volunteers and paid staff. It's open ideas, open
| information, and now, open government. And activists like his wife are
| pushing these ideas into the realm of social innovation.
|
| Nobody ever accused Toronto of being Silicon Valley North. But the ethos of
| open-ness has caught on, and it's starting to turn Toronto into a capital of
| a different kind.
`----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090130.wgtchange31/BNStory/Technology/home

Related:

Open source software - A key element in Norwegian ICT-strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Last but not least we will evaluate how to promote knowledge and training
| in open source software in further education. And we will collaborate on
| improved educational courses on this subject at college and university
| level.
`----

http://www.regjeringen.no/nb/dep/fad/dep/Fornyings-_og_administrasjonsminister/taler_artikler/2007/eZ-Conference---Awards.html?id=471985

Minister champions open source endeavour

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1711