[News] OLPC Frees Up Hardware as Well

OLPC XO-2 goes Open Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| I admit to being a little gobstopped by Nicholas Negroponte’s announcment in
| the Guardian that the next generation OLPC will be Open Hardware is a pretty
| big deal.  I picked up the announcement this morning from Make Magazine
| editor, Phil Torrone’s twitter feed in which he says “This is pretty much the
| biggest news of 2009".  For the maker, tinkerer, hardware hacker world, this
| might just be true.
`----

http://manypossibilities.net/2009/01/olpc-xo-2-goes-open-hardware/

OLPC was derailed by Microsoft/Intel crime (details below), but they try to
rewrite history now.

Related:

OLPC: Nigeria's Registrar Finds No Proof KONYIN Registration Was Extended

,----[ Quote ]
| I know. The dog ate it.
|
| It is also a matter of record that Oyegbola was convicted of bank fraud in
| Boston in 1990 and served a year in prison.
|
| OLPC Nigeria already told the court that the Extension of Design was invalid,
| but the court ignored them. I don't think it will do so now. If there is no
| valid extension, an injunction based upon it would be improper, obviously.
| The court will have another opportunity to get it right, as this letter will
| now be presented to the court. That's if it *wants* to get it right, which I
| am not at all convinced it does.

Local OEMs boycott Microsoft, Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| The local Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) in the country may have
| commenced boycotting of placing orders on the Operating System (OS)
| dominantly supplied by the software giant, Microsoft Corporation and computer
| processor manufacturer, Intel Corporation offices in the country.
`----

http://itrealms.blogspot.com/2007/11/local-oems-boycott-microsoft-intel.html

OLPC Tells Nigerian Court: We Don't Use LANCOR's Keyboard

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's what OLPC says was hidden from the court:
|
|     * LANCOR has no valid patent
|     * OLPC hasn't sold any XO laptops in Nigeria
|     * it's a non-profit
|     * the beta XO laptops tested in Nigeria were not for sale and were not
|     given away
|     * OLPC never signed a EULA
|     * OLPC never reverse engineered anything
|     * its keyboards that will be distributed use all public domain techniques
|     and not LANCOR's Konyin keyboard

Nigerian Patent Infringement Lawsuit: Scam or Shame?

,----[ Quote ]
| After reading that story I went to look for the Nigerian Patent Office's
| website, unfortunately according to the WIPO (World Intellectual Property
| Organization) directory there's no such thing. Probing further I found that
| the Nigerian Industrial Property Offices use a @yahoo.com e-mail address.
| That was the point where I stopped my search for an online-version of Patent
| # RD8489 even though I would really liked to take a look at it!
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/hardware/keyboard/olpc_patent_infringement_scam.html

LANCOR's Adé Oyegbola Answers Groklaw's Questions About OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ: Thank you for responding. I think you misunderstand then one thing about
| OLPC. OLPC is a recognized charity under the law. Selling a laptop for cost
| does not make them commercial, Ade.
|
| Many of my readers have been asking me, and I hope you do not feel insulted
| if I ask on their behalf, but is there any connection or have you had any
| contact with Microsoft or Intel?

OLPC's Nigerian patent suit being waged by a man convicted of bank fraud

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9827611-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

,----[ Quote ]
| [PJ: I thought you might like to see the keyboard that LANCOR's thinks is
| being infringed by the OLPC. Here's the page for the entire world. Ah!
| Innovation. It certainly is an amazing technical advance to have 4 shift keys
| so you can do accent marks. What genius could ever think of a keyboard that
| can do an accent aigu? Genius, I say. Innovative genius. Nothing obvious
| here. So you can certainly understand why LANCOR claims it must safeguard
| with their lives the keyboard driver source code. For contrast, here is the
| OLPC's Nigerian keyboard. So different I start to wonder if this was about
| advertising a keyboard.]
|
| [...]
|
| ...Dr Aja-Nwachuku said he was now assessing OLPC alongside other schemes
| from Microsoft and Intel.
|
| [If you don't want a laptop from OLPC, because you feel you need schools,
| uniforms and chairs first -- not that any of that makes sense since the kids
| can sit outside under a tree and study with OLPC or at home -- why would he
| be considering the Classmate from Intel or a "scheme" from Microsoft? You
| tell me.] -
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Lagos Analysis Corp. (LANCOR) Files Lawsuit Against Nicholas Negroponte and
OLPC Association for Patent Infringement. Negroponte's OLPC Accused of
Unauthorized Use of LANCOR's Multilingual Keyboard Technology Invention in XO
Laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Lagos Analysis Corporation, a United States-based Nigerian-owned company with
| a subsidiary called LANCOR Management Limited, in Nigeria (LANCOR) announces
| today that it has filed a patent infringement lawsuit in the Federal High
| Court, Lagos Judicial Division holding at Ikoyi, Lagos, Nigeria against
| Nicholas Negroponte, One Laptop Per Child Association (OLPC) and its enablers
| in Nigeria.
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=796745

Intel: doing the dirty on OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel’s agreement with the OLPC Foundation included a ‘non disparagement’
| clause, under which Intel and One Laptop promised not to criticize each
| other, according to Nicholas Negroponte in the latest article in the Wall
| Street Journal.
|
| Still Intel tactics have violated that repeatedly to kill OLPC efforts in
| Nigeria, Libya, Pakistan, India, China and Intel is also still trying to pull
| those tactics in Mexico, Brazil.
| This is simply disgracefull of Intel, scandalous.
|
| But Negroponte has signed an agreement saying that he is not allowed to
| criticize Intel, so he is not allowed to talk about these shameless tactics
| even though Intel is the one violating the agreement.
|
| So only independant voices on the Internet can get those messages of truth
| out about Intels tactics.
|
| In Nigeria, Intel came and donated 3000 laptops to counter OLPC efforts, then
| sells 17 thousand Classmates to Nigeria at a loss.
|
| Then Microsoft corrupted Nigerian officials with 400 thousand dollars to
| install Windows XP on those instead of Mandriva Linux.
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/14124

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates earlier this year told the Microsoft
| Government Leaders Forum, "Geez, get a decent computer where you can
| actually read the text and you?re not sitting there cranking the thing
| while you're trying to type" (see Bill Gates Mocks $100 Laptop).
`----

http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

Not Such a Harsh Toke, Actually

,----[ Quote ]
| This is socially, economically, politically and otherwise innovative. It is
| good for democracy too in some of the few remaining places that good thing is
| having trouble getting hold. We regard that thing too lightly, I fear.
|
| The Gates | Otellini axis directly hurts us deeply. To me, it is a
| particularly American shame.
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/11/not-such-a-hars.html

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]