Re: Please name a cross-platform FOSS app that is failing

After takin' a swig o' grog, Joerg Schilling belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> I don't know where you did get this wrong information from.
>
> cdrecord (cdrtools) is the only cross platform FROSS CD/DVD/BD writing
> software. Cdrtools currently has SCSI support for at least 22 different
> operating system platforms (not counting variants that are caused by
> different CPU types and counting all MS-WIN variants as only 1 platform).
>
> cdrdao uses a very old SCSI transport lib from cdrtools and is not
> written as portable as cdrtools is. It supports only CD media and a few
> platforms.
>
> growisofs only supports DVD media and even much less platforms than cdrdao.
>
> If you take cdrtools from ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/
> the real problem is the limited portability of k3b.
>
> K3b makes the mistake to try to send SCSI commands by itself instead of
> calling cdrtools in order to get the needed information from drive and
> medium in a really portable way.

Interesting.

   ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/win32/README.win32

   cdrecord-1.8a22 or later can be compiled on Win9X/NT4 using Cygnus'
   cygwin

The cygwin crutch.  Have you verified your code on XP/Vista?

> counting all MS-WIN variants as only 1 platform).

Why is the Mac stuff so out-of-date?

Oh dear.  Now Hadron's going to dun me for trolling poor old Jörg.

--
This fortune intentionally left blank.