Re: a newbie's guide to Linux ..

  • Subject: Re: a newbie's guide to Linux ..
  • From: Ruel Smith <NoWay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 19:56:13 +0000 (UTC)
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:g+Z1YayOx+UVW9tAXDzH7iYSklw=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Doug Mentohl <doug_mentohl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said on 2009-01-30:
> very little about Linux is actually difficult to use. It's simply a
> different OS, with its own approach to doing things. Once you learn your
> way around a Linux desktop, you're likely to find that it's no more
> challenging to work with than Windows or Mac OS ..

Very true, indeed. There seems to be a general perception that Linux
is a command-line OS like the old DOS, or that it is no good because
it's free etc. Users, when presented with Ubuntu, find it quite
acceptable. However, Linux does need improvement in many areas.
Acceptance of Linux, I think, depends on how easily new users can get
help and how quickly their problems are resolved. In our business, I
don't see many companies following up with users' Linux-experience.
Eventually users start demanding the OS they feel comfortable and
Linux is pushed back down on the priority list. This is just my
experience.

But you quite correctly mentioned that once users learn their way
around a Linux distribution, they do perform equally well on Linux as
they would with their other OS.