[News] AMD Phenom Tested in Linux

Phenomenon Redux: AMD Phenom II in Linux Test

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent Linux Community test compared the AMD Phenom X4 with a Turion X2 and
| Intel P9400. Meanwhile AMD has sent us its new Phenom II processor, prompting
| a new test. These are the latest benchmark results.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/phenomenon_redux_amd_phenom_ii_in_linux_test

Phenom II Breaks 6.5GHz, Enables New 3DMark Record

,----[ Quote ]
| Prior to the official release of AMD's next-generation 45nm Phenom II
| processors, the Sunnyvale, California-based chip maker held a number of
| events where it approached the opportunity of demonstrating the overclocking
| potential of its latest desktop processors. Soon after their official release
| at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, the processors were
| used in yet another demonstration, where one of AMD's Phenom II products was
| pushed to record clock levels and was used to break the Futuremark 3DMark05
| record.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Phenom-II-Breaks-6-5GHz-Enables-New-3DMark-Record-102945.shtml

Recent:

AMD's X-Video Bitstream Acceleration

,----[ Quote ]
| In early September we shared that UVD2 and XvMC is coming to Linux and that
| two new library files had begun shipping with the ATI Catalyst driver:
| AMDXvBA and XvBAW. Earlier this month the Unified Video Decoding 2 (UVD2)
| support was then enabled by default in the Catalyst 8.10 driver. These video
| acceleration improvements to the ATI Linux driver aren't exactly end-user
| friendly yet, but today we have information on how those interested can begin
| using the X-Video Motion Compensation extension with their ATI hardware along
| with what the XvBA extension will provide users in regards to advanced video
| acceleration that is very similar to Microsoft's DirectX Video Acceleration.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_xvmc_xvba&num=1

ATI to Show Linux Some Love

,----[ Quote ]
| According to recent reports, AMD's graphics subsidiary is set on becoming
| more Linux-friendly. The company plans to release new Catalyst drivers for
| Linux-based operating systems, which will allow playback of protected
| high-definition content on a Linux OS. The new drivers should become
| available sometime in October 2008, thus enabling the company to address the
| market of Linux-based computers by bringing to the table a feature currently
| unavailable.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-to-Show-Linux-Some-Love-92929.shtml

ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers.

,----[ Quote ]
| ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, plans to enable
| playback of protected high-definition content under Linux operating system
| (OS) sometime in October, 2008. The move will allow the company to address
| the market of Linux-based computers with a unique feature, which is not
| currently available.
`----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20080902113646_ATI_to_Enable_High_Definition_Video_Playback_on_Linux_Based_Computers.html

AMD Makes An Evolutionary Leap In Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Tux being part of their licensed box design, forthcoming CrossFire support,
| and other major features coming are major wins for the Linux community. For
| those concerned that AMD is attempting to build back up its binary blockade,
| don't worry as their open-source strategy will continue with the RV770. AMD
| engineers are in the process of sanitizing the programming documentation for
| this brand new GPU for public release in the coming weeks. We suspect the
| xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd developers will have the documentation
| even sooner under NDA. In addition, the open-sourcing of KGrids and TCore
| will be relevant and helpful for the 2D and 3D RV770 open-source support.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_evolution&num=1

AMD teraflop processor is all about open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Stream SDK’s Brook+ front-end is available as open source code.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2008/06/16/43935/amd-teraflop-processor-is-all-about-open-source.htm
http://tinyurl.com/68qs26

AMD Releases Stream SDK For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA's competition for Stream computing is CUDA, which is the Compute
| Unified Device Architecture, or CUDA for short. CUDA has been supported on
| Linux now for some time and NVIDIA is in the process of bringing PhysX to
| CUDA, for physics acceleration thanks to their acquisition of AGEIA. Intel's
| competition is Ct, or C for Throughput Computing.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_stream_released&num=1

AMD Stream SDK Coming To Linux Soon

,----[ Quote ]