Re: [News] [Rival] HUGE Flaw in Windows Mobile Permits Hijacking

____/ alt on Thursday 29 January 2009 21:16 : \____

> On 2009-01-29, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Windows Mobile Bluetooth vulnerability allows access to any files
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| A directory traversing vulnerability in the Bluetooth OBEX-FTP server of
>>| Windows Mobile 6 allows attackers to access files outside of the permitted
>>| list. According to the report, using "../" or "..\\" as part of the path
>>| name, is sufficient to traverse to other directories. An attacker could use
>>| the technique to copy files from a device, or to install their own
>>| software, such as a key logger, or other spyware.
>> `----
>
> Holy crap! I thought this sort of vulnerability went out of style in the 80s!
>
>> Microsoft's incompetence could cost it its life.
>> Yesterday:
>> Is it time to ditch Windows Mobile?
>>
>> Recent:
>> Can Microsoft make its future mobile?
>> Does Microsoft prefer the iPhone to Windows Mobile?
>> Windows Mobile: What Microsoft Needs to Fix
>> Microsoft's mobile strategy has gone missing
>> Microsoft falls behind in mobiles
>> Windows Mobile - Like Being Dropped in a Toilet
>> iPhone 2.x Beats Windows Mobile 6.x into Coma
>> Why Windows Mobile will die.
>> Why Windows Mobile Is In Trouble
>> Windows Mobile misses annual shipment target
>>
>> Related:
>>
>> Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions
>> Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones
>
> All of these are just testaments to trying to shoehorn the desktop
> model of usage into a system that fits in the palm of one's hand.
> Quite simply, Microsoft doesn't "get" the mobile market.

It tries to capitalise on 'familiar' GUI where it simply does not belong (nor
fits).

I saw Android and it's more advanced than Windows Mobile. Ballmer repeatedly
attacks Android in public, which says a lot (ignore-laugh-attack-lose).

Motorola is claimed to have just ditched Windows Mobile for greater Android
focus.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie