Re: [News] Tips of Mitigating Migration Barriers to GNU/Linux

After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out this bit o' wisdom:

>>> Impossible without cross-platform apps, of course.
>>
>> Or emulators.
>> Or conversion environments (a la cygwin).
>> Or virtual machines.
>
> All of which seem to be burdensome to ordinary users.
>
> You would try to move users from Windows to Linux via cygwin?  It sounds
> horrible.
>
> I would be interested in cases of people actually migrating using any of
> the approaches you mention.

Ah, moving the goal posts again, Matt?

You really need to start defining what you mean by "migrating".

   o  Using Linux exclusively?

   o  Using Linux only for work?

   o  Using Linux only for home?

   o  Mixing and matching usage as the need occurs?

Also, you seem to want to deny that people cannot get a fore-taste of Linux
from emulators, conversion environments, UNIX toolkits, or virtual machines.

You've yet to make a convincing case that cross-platform apps benefit Linux
more than Windows.  You keep ducking the question, instead flipping it
around as "make a case the Linux-only apps benefit Linux more".

As if the numbers are easy to conjure.

--
Be careful when a loop exits to the same place from side and bottom.