Re: Please name a cross-platform FOSS app that is failing

After takin' a swig o' grog, Matt belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I wonder if Nautilus fulfills your criteria.
>
> I wrote:
>
>> Show me a Linux-only app that is growing better or being used more _on Linux_ than an equivalent cross-platform app is growing or being used _on Linux_.
>
> Nautilus compared to what equivalent cross-platform app?

   KDE 4
   GNUstep

> Non-random replies only: please don't bother to answer unless you are
> more than half awake and this is going to be better than your previous
> mentions of cygwin and gcc.

You keep requalifying your terms.  Why not restate them with clarity?

Dude, I think you're asking a silly, convoluted, cloudy question to try to
"prove" that "Linux-only" (UNIX only?) apps are not valuable in getting a
"newbie" user to migrate to Linux.

Don't be surprised if people aren't giving you what you "asked for".

Surely you have examples of your own at hand?  Why hold them back?

Because, my friend, the much larger population of Windows users makes your
quest a futile one, not to mention that it is difficult to get /numbers/.

>> Show me a Linux-only app that is growing better or being used more _on
>> Linux_ than an equivalent cross-platform app is growing or being used _on
>> Linux_.

A concrete example:  Evince, a PDF (and more) viewer for Linux/Windows.
On Windows, not many will use it, since Acrobat provides a free (if
cumbersome) reader that everyone knows about.  A new Linux user will
probably find "acroread" first.  How many will find Evince?  I don't know.

On the other hand, the non-cross-platform (if you discount its use on
cygwin, as you seem wont) PDF viewer xpdf is likely to come up first when a
user searches for an alternative to acroread.  Maybe /it/ is used more than
acroread, then.  It might likely be used more than Evince, since it is
easier to find -- depending on if you were using Gnome, and searching for a
menu entry versus using Google.

You're asking /us/ to provide numbers to prove /your/ thesis.  Why can't
/you/ provide numbers?

And even if you could provide numbers, you would likely find that the
balance is different for different areas of functionality.

Your question is simply silly.

--
Beelzebug, n.:
	Satan in the form of a mosquito, that gets into your bedroom at