[News] MAFIAA Laws Find Corruptible Politicians, Opposition Too

Copyright dogmatism ridiculously strikes the European Parliament.

,----[ Quote ]
| Paris, Jan 26th - The European Parliament's committee for legal affairs
| (JURI) voted the Medina report on Copyright last week. This report goes
| against its initial objective to account on the failure of the 2001 copyright
| directive. It only contains ridiculous repressive measures dictated by the
| entertainment industries, and goes as far as denying the Commission's ongoing
| studies. Among its recommendations are "graduated response", content
| filtering, Internet service providers liability, denial of copyright
| exception, etc. It will be up to the Members of European Parliament (MEPs) to
| protect their electors by strongly rejecting this report.
`----

http://www.laquadrature.net/en/copyright-dogmatism-ridiculously-strikes-european-parliament

Proposed EU Copyright Term Extension Faces Vocal Opposition In Parliament

,----[ Quote ]
| Strong opposition is being voiced by members of the European Parliament over
| plans to extend the copyright protection applying to sound recordings from 50
| to 95 years.
|
| Both left and right-leaning Parliament members (MEPs) have signalled that
| they intend to vote against the proposed extension at a crucial meeting of
| the assembly’s legal affairs committee scheduled for 11-12 February,
| rejecting arguments that the move is necessary to guarantee higher pay for
| session musicians.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1403

Recent:

750,000 lost jobs? The dodgy digits behind the war on piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the estimate of 750,000 jobs lost. (Is that supposed to be per year? A
| cumulative total over some undefined span? Those who cite the figure seldom
| say.) Customs is most often given as the source for this, and indeed, you can
| find press releases from as recently as 2002 giving that figure as a U.S.
| Customs and Border Patrol estimate. Eureka! But when we contacted CBP to
| determine how they had arrived at that imposing figure, we were informed that
| it was, in essence, a goof. The figure, Customs assured us, came from
| somewhere else, and was mistakenly described as the agency's own. This should
| come as no great surprise: CBP is an enforcement agency, whereas calculating
| the total loss of jobs from IP infringement would require some terrifyingly
| complex counterfactual modeling by trained economists. Similar claims have
| appeared in Customs releases dating back at least to 1993, but a CBP
| spokesperson assured us that the agency has never been in the business of
| developing such estimates in-house.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/dodgy-digits-behind-the-war-on-piracy.ars

Harvard professor challenges RIAA anti-piracy campaign

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=537633690&rid=-50