[News] [Rival] Big Endorsement for Free Software in the United Kingdom

Tories consider IT contract cap

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of awarding long-term contracts to large IT companies they could open
| up the procurement process to smaller firms using "open source" software.

Tories Back Open Source Software...They Say

,----[ Quote ]
| Fine words butter no cyber-parsnips, of course, and I'll believe all this
| when I see it. Still, it's a start, and it would be good to see Labour
| finally admitting that its megalomaniacal, monolithic computing projects are
| failures, and adopting the decentralised, distributed approach the Tories are
| advocating here.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1791&blogid=14

Tories consider open source and limit on size of government IT projects

,----[ Quote ]
| Shadow chancellor George Osbourne is considering a report that recommends
| putting a £100m spending cap on government IT contracts and opening up
| procurement to small firms using open source software.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/open-source-business/news/index.cfm?newsid=13011

UK Councils to explore Open Source benefits

,----[ Quote ]
| - First-ever UK conference on open source software in local government
| announced - As new US Govt looks at open source, UK called upon to wake up to
| opportunity
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11144.html

Last year:

Conservatives 'would level open source playing field' says Cameron

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2008/04/07/230149/conservatives-would-level-open-source-playing-field-says.htm