[News] Zune Likely Candidate for Death by a Collapsing Microsoft

Zune Sales Tumble As Microsoft Tries To Compete With Apple iPod

,----[ Quote ]
| Sales for the Microsoft Zune MP3 player tumbled by 54 percent during the last
| quarter while the Apple iPod grew more than 3 percent in market share. The
| battle of the multimedia players might have met its final match.
|
| Microsoft Corp reported last week that sales on its Zune MP3 player tumbled
| by 54 percent during the last quarter. The Zune rival, Apple Inc's iPod, grew
| more than 3 percent in market share and is seen as the dominate music player.
| While the software giant is cutting divisions that don't have improved sales,
| some analysts wonder if Zune is on the way out.
`----

http://www.newsoxy.com/microsoft/article11610.html

Zune seems unlikely to survive. With Microsoft losing in Windows and Office
(few areas that are profitable), there's big trouble ahead.

Analysts expect more Microsoft layoffs. Including the contractors, it may have
just sacked over 10,000. To make matters worse, Microsoft is entering debt.

Recent:

Microsoft’s Zune Slips

,----[ Quote ]
| At its much faster rate of decline, the Zune player looks like it’s headed
| from low to no market share — unless Microsoft jazzes up the product soon.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/01/23/microsofts-zune-slips/

Microsoft hiding from the Zune?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Seattle Post-Intelligencer spots - or, rather, doesn't spot - the Zune in
| Microsoft's new advertising for that uber-social iPhone "competitor."
| According to Zune marketing director Adam Sohn, this is on purpose: "We're
| trying to funnel people from the software side....You don't have to buy the
| device immediately."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10102195-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Microsoft (MSFT): Kill The Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zune is another matter. Apple's lead is too large. The Zune is not a
| product which is terribly different from its competition.
|
| Microsoft can simply say it does not want to take a bath on the Zune while it
| is taking a more intelligent risk with Xbox profitability.
|
| Kill the Zune. Save some money.
`----

http://www.247wallst.com/2008/09/microsoft-msf-1.html

Zune Guy Rant Against Microsoft and Zune no Longer Available

,----[ Quote ]
| We didn’t want to post MSZuneFan’s “last video” because of the hard language
| but we’re more than happy to report it now has been removed from YouTube.
`----

http://www.pmptoday.com/2008/07/26/zune-guy-rant-against-microsoft-and-zune-no-longer-available/

Zune Guy calls Microsoft 'liars,' says Zune situation is 'f***ing bulls**t'

,----[ Quote ]
| You've probably heard by now that the infamous Zune Guy ("Microsoft Zune")
| was so disappointed with Microsoft that he's elected to have his ink removed
| in place of something more in line with his shifted priorities. In addition
| to the reconstructive work he's going to have, ZG claims that Microsoft
| actually lied to him about his free trip to the Redmond campus, which (as you
| might imagine) further tarnishes his image of the company. Unfortunately,
| according to reps from Microsoft we spoke with, the trip was never
| confirmed -- only discussed -- and ultimately canceled due to the very
| reasonable fear that it might lead a lot of "hyper-engaged users" to expect a
| trip of their own (though they did hook our man up with a free Zune and some
| related swag).
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/26/zune-guy-calls-microsoft-liars-says-zune-situation-is-f-in/
http://tinyurl.com/5qqfjf

Zune absent from Microsoft exec's speech

,----[ Quote ]
| Zune? It appeared on one slide, but Bach never mentioned it.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13526_3-9998722-27.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The beginning of the end for the Microsoft Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| Some may even say this goes to the root of Microsoft’s heritage. How they
| came to achieve the operating system dominance and success by bullying
| smaller businesses or buying them out and marketing their product as their
| own.
|
| The way things are going, one can not help wonder if Microsoft have just run
| out of ideas on expanding their business and decided to jump on the “me-too”
| bandwagon.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure%20/2008/05/25/the -beginning-to-the-end-for-the-microsoft-zune/

Zuneral this Saturday!

,----[ Quote ]
| We regret to report the sudden, unexpected death of Digital Rights
| Management. Details of the tragedy at present remain unclear, but he was
| rushed to the hospital following a direct collision with an oncoming future
| last week at 10 PM. He was seven years old.
`----

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/%7Efreeculture/blog/2008/05/22/zuneral-this-saturday/

GameStop to Stop Zune Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Video-game retailer GameStopGME has decided to stop selling Microsoft's Zune
| players at its stores due to what it sees as insufficient demand from
| customers.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/hardware/10418052.html

- From Vista to Zune: Why Microsoft Can’t Sell to Consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s marketing of Windows Vista and the Zune have failed in large part
| due to the fact that Microsoft has not learned how to effectively sell
| consumer products. Consumers buy Windows and Office, but that’s because they
| have no choice, not because of the company’s marketing savvy. Microsoft only
| effectively markets its products to businesses, which represents a very
| different type of sales relationship.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/05/12/from-vista-to-zune-why-microsoft-cant-sell-to-consumers/

Zune Sales Still In the Toilet

,----[ Quote ]
| Selling a million Zunes across nine months seems particularly conservative
| for a company with Microsoft’s clout, particularly when considering that it
| was selling against the iPod, which got snatched up 40 million times over
| that same period. When Microsoft announced having shipped 1.2 million units
| in early July, Windows Enthusiasts rejoiced that the goal was reached,
| apparently unaware that Microsoft’s definition of “shipping” means
| transferring product to a retailer’s warehouse.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/05/09/zune-sales-still-in-the-toilet/

Microsoft May Build a Copyright Cop Into Every Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| If you like to download the latest episodes of “Heroes” or other NBC shows
| from BitTorrent, maybe you shouldn’t buy a Microsoft Zune to watch them on.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/microsoft-may-build-a-copyright-cop-into-every-zune/index.html?ref=technology

Related:

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
| and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
| game console business and the introduction of its Internet
| Protocol television software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

Dancing Ballmer subjected to Zune dance therapy

,----[ Quote ]
| The japester appears to have used an internal Microsoft website to direct,
| well, just about anyone to this re-reinterpretation of Steve Ballmer’s
| infamous monkeyboy dance. Or is it a re-reinterpetation of Apple's iPod
| advertising campaign? In these mashed-up days, it's hard to tell.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/01/ballmer_dances/

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/