[News] [Rival] Windows is in Trouble as Margins Fall (Due to GNU/Linux)

Job cuts call for Microsoft to rethink Windows client

,----[ Quote ]
| But even Microsoft acknowledged Thursday that a flat PC market could continue
| to affect the overall Office business, while the entertainment and devices
| unit's performance had more to do with holiday sales of the Xbox 360 game
| console than overall growth in that market.

Amid Cannibalization Woes, Netbooks Eat Into Microsoft Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| But most netbooks have less processing power than their full-featured cousins
| and can't run high-spec versions of Microsoft's Windows, the world's
| most-widely used operating system. Instead, the Redmond, Wash.-based software
| company is selling netbook makers lighter versions of its operating system at
| a cheaper price. Worse, some manufacturers are choosing to cut Microsoft out
| altogether by using Linux, an open-source OS.

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?
| to go with that.

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Morvay revealed to Linux Magazine Online that there were no specific figures
| for Linux netbook sales, but that it lay somewhere in the 40th percentile.
| Even though this figure seems a little high, it is known that many of the
| world's netbooks have Linux on board since their first inception 18 months
| ago.
| For example, notebooks with Linux make up about 5.5% of the notebook market
| in Germany...

End Runs Around Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, the sources say employees in HP's PC division are exploring the
| possibility of building a mass-market operating system. HP's software would
| be based on Linux, the open-source operating system that is already widely
| available, but it would be simpler and easier for mainstream users, the
| sources say.

HP's 'End Run' Around Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| As Hewlett-Packard steps up efforts to make Microsoft's operating system
| easier to use, some want to devise a rival version with Linux
| [...]
| Others in HP's PC division are exploring the possibility of building an HP
| operating system for mainstream desktop and notebook computers based on the
| open-source Linux system, which competes with Windows, say people familiar
| with the company's plans. The goals may be to make HP less dependent on new
| releases of Windows, and to strengthen HP's hand against Apple (AAPL), which
| has gained market share with computers that boast innovative features and
| inspire a loyal following of users.

Mainstream media writes Windows obit

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow, a tough day for Windows.
| BusinessWeek reports that HP, the world’s biggest PC company, is so troubled
| by Vista’s ‘tepid reception’ and Apple’s resurgence that it is developing its
| own operating system. Meanwhile a New York Times columnist writes on his blog
| that Windows is “already dying a death by a thousand cuts.”

Microsoft Is Giving Up on Windows

,----[ Quote ]