[News] GNU/Linux Covered in Trade Press by Boors

Editor's Note: Joe Sixpack Must Die

,----[ Quote ]
| A fair bit of so-called advocacy seems to be taking its cues from the poor
| quality of most Linux news reporting. I indulged in an enjoyable and
| cathartic rant against shoddy tech journalism, and one thing I left out,
| since I tend to ramble on excessively, was why do so many tech journalists
| pretend to be some mythical average dimwit user when they're writing about
| Linux? And not just the pros, but all kinds of bloggers and commenters in
| forums and mailing lists do this too. This mythical average user, this "Joe
| Sixpack", is too stupid to figure out which shoe goes on which foot, let
| alone run a computer. And yet this is the target user for whatever Linux
| version or device they are talking about:
|
|     "Ubuntu and OpenSUSE...provide much if not all of what "Joe Sixpack"
|     wants to do with their personal computer, but the reality is there are
|     significant obstacles that must be overcome...."
|
|     "...unwashed masses..."
|
|     "...the best Linux distribution for the mythical Mr. Joe Sixpack I've
|     seen yet."
|
|     "Linux will never be ready for the desktop until Joe and Jane Sixpack can
|     use it without ever having to go anywhere near the command line
|     interface, or edit a configuration file"
|
|     "Joe Sixpack probably couldn't find a need for those kind of applications
|     anyway."
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-01-24-001-35-OS-CY-OO

Recent:

Careers In Linux Journalism-- No Knowledge Required!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/01/careers-in-pund.html