[News] Music DRM is Dying Like Its Fan, Microsoft

DRM In Retreat

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week's agreement between Apple and the major record companies to
| eliminate DRM (copy protection) in iTunes songs marks the effective end of
| DRM for recorded music. The major online music stores are now all DRM-free,
| and CDs still lack DRM, so consumers who acquire music will now expect it
| without DRM. That's a sensible result, given the incompatibility and other
| problems caused by DRM, and it's a good sign that the record companies are
| ready to retreat from DRM and get on with the job of reinventing themselves
| for the digital world.
|
| In the movie world, DRM for stored content may also be in trouble. On DVDs,
| the CSS DRM scheme has long been a dead letter, technologically speaking. The
| Blu-ray scheme is better, but if Blu-ray doesn't catch on, this doesn't
| matter.
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/drm-retreat

Thank you music industry!

,----[ Quote ]
| My daughter has frequently asked me about movies and music. Her friends tell
| her that they can download any music or movie from the Internet, and she asks
| me if this is true, and if I'll teach her to do it. Or our neighbor's kid
| keeps asking her why can't she run on the PlayStation the copied games that
| he has. And I try to explain to her that we really are not interested in
| pirated videos and our PlayStation is not "cracked", so it does not run the
| pirated games. I try to tell her about this thing called Copyright...
|
| [...]
|
| But, yesterday, she asked me why she can't access her video on YouTube, and I
| found out that she hasn't been able to access it for some time now. So I went
| to take a look. And her video was removed because of "copyright claims made
| by a third party"... Now, go explain that to a 10 year-old kid...
`----

http://www.opensource.org/node/382

Recent:

Q&A: Microsoft defends return to DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft yesterday unveiled its MSN Mobile Music service - and a surprise
| return to digital rights management (DRM).
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/245859/qa-microsoft-defends-return-to-drm.html

Microsoft slammed over security advice

,----[ Quote ]