[News] Intellectual Monopolists Under Real Threat

Intellectual Monopolists on the Back Foot

,----[ Quote ]
| This is extraordinary. It equates those who wish - legitimately - to minimise
| intellectual monopolies as the moral equivalents of counterfeiters. In other
| words, the intellectual monoplists seem to regard *any* threat to their
| fat-cat lifestyle as illegal, almost by definition.
|
| The good news is that by identifying those against intellectual monopolies as
| this "second threat" on a par with counterfeiting is proof of just how
| successful we are becoming.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/01/intellectual-monopolists-on-back-foot.html

Tech to Obama: Think patent reform

,----[ Quote ]
| Repealing software patents could give a much-needed boost to the tech
| industry in troubled economic times. Software patents affect all developers,
| commercial vendors, and open source hobbyists alike. Patents restrict what
| functionality we can include in our applications, how our programs can
| interoperate, and how and where they can be deployed. In turn, this affects
| every computer user, by limiting features, raising prices, and slowing the
| pace of progress.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/fatalexception/archives/2009/01/tech_to_obama_t.html

Recent:

Yes, We Can Make the Stimulus More Stimulating

,----[ Quote ]
| 6) Funding for the Development of Open Software
|
|     In the same vein, the government can spend $2 billion a year to develop
|     open source software. This money can be used to further develop and
|     simplify open source operating systems such as Linux, as well other forms
|     of free software. The payoffs from this spending would be enormous.
|     Imagine that every computer buyer in the world would be able to get a
|     computer for which the operating system was free, as was almost all the
|     software that they would ever use.
`----

http://www.truthout.org/011209R

Economist suggests federal funding of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/398/1050398/economist-suggests-federal-funding-of-open-source